The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why are your flies in plastic boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I'm one horrible drawer. But something like a combo of your 3x5 and pocket box.

Click the image to open in full size.

Have you ever worked with leopard wood btw?
Let me try to wrap my wee lil brain around that for awhile Itch. It looks interesting but with some engineering obstacles.

*Leopard wood*... This is a "tomato/to-mah-to" term. Some call it Leopard wood because it sounds cooler than its true name, "Lacewood". I have two 3x5" boxes available made from the highest grade Lacewood you will ever see. I also have a supplier with an abundance of lacewood, which is why my price is lower than my boxes made from more exotic woods.

3x5" Lacewood Fly Box | Flygrain

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Hmmm, sure would be a nice Father's Day gift!

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

LOL! Just texted the kids the website and hinted about Father' Day. Is that being too demanding?
Yep! I need to beef up my inventory for Fathers Day I'm heading to Hawaii tomorrow. Last year I came home with some insane Koa and Monkey Pod. Boy did that make some lovely fly boxes! This time Im going to a different island. We'll see what I can dig up!
mridenour and craigthor like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Guys, jay (flygrain) sent me a box as a thank you for my service, now I'm usually highly uncomfortable receiving gifts or anything for my service to the country since I chose to do it, but jay convinced me to accept one "on the house." I just received it today and it is truly a fine piece of equipment and you can see jays attention to detail on it. Click the image to open in full size.

So if any of you are on the fence about purchasing one, perhaps the the size of jays heart will sway you into purchasing one.

Ryan
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Pictures of the Riffle box I just got, ultra light and perfect for Tenkara!

Last edited by craigthor; 04-19-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold

Hey you wood lovers! I'm in Kauai and I haven't even taken my 8wt out of its tube. Too windy and I'm having too much fun with my family and friends �� however! I did find some Koa!!! So stay tuned for some sweet new fly boxes coming soon ��
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Jay, Old Friend...

Two things, really, on this chilly Thursday afternoon in northern Michigan...

The first is that you should know that Emily's box is being filled with Catskills flies from almost every fly shop that she, her family and "Doc" and his wife have visited as the group winds down Week #1 out East...

Second... "My kids" and my girls would like to get me one of your fixed-blade(Damascus) trout and bird "special" knives with a highly-figured piece of black walnut or a truly impressive piece of wood as both a "Thank You" and as a birthday gift at the end of May. May 30 will mark the 17th anniversary of my cancer diagnosis, and 17 years of surviving it!

Give it some thought on your trip home and let me know the price, so I can pass it along. Whatever "my kids," their families and my girls can't come up with, I'll make up the rest...

Enjoy Hawaii, my friend, and please, please drag that rod out of its tube and set a hook for yours truly!

Travel safe, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Flygrain likes this.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

I may have to leave this thread up on the screen and let the wife accidentally see it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Account on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
Jay, Old Friend...

Two things, really, on this chilly Thursday afternoon in northern Michigan...

The first is that you should know that Emily's box is being filled with Catskills flies from almost every fly shop that she, her family and "Doc" and his wife have visited as the group winds down Week #1 out East...

Second... "My kids" and my girls would like to get me one of your fixed-blade(Damascus) trout and bird "special" knives with a highly-figured piece of black walnut or a truly impressive piece of wood as both a "Thank You" and as a birthday gift at the end of May. May 30 will mark the 17th anniversary of my cancer diagnosis, and 17 years of surviving it!

Give it some thought on your trip home and let me know the price, so I can pass it along. Whatever "my kids," their families and my girls can't come up with, I'll make up the rest...

Enjoy Hawaii, my friend, and please, please drag that rod out of its tube and set a hook for yours truly!

Travel safe, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Jerry. It is such a joy to hear Emily is enjoying the flybox. It really makes my heart soar
I'll get in touch with you later this week about a knife, when I get back to the mainland. Sounds like a real nice project
Jay

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Just an additional update on some new wood I have in my possession. I bought a small amount of nice Koa early in the trip. It is dry and ready to mill. I did some searching and found a place that is a Koa treasure trove! Massive chunks of the highest figured Koa u can imagine. This stuff is beyond any of my wildest dreams. $75 a board foot! Youch!!! And its not even dry! Well, since I'm a sucker, I bought some. It will take a while to dry it, but when its ready... Oh my!!!! They will stand way above any boxes I've ever made I also got one small piece of Monkey Pod. I should be able to make something cool with it.
Hardyreels likes this.