The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold
Default Koa Wood Fy Boxes!!

Just returned from Kauai with some great local wood! Ive got two small batches of koa. The first was dry and ready to mill, which I have here. It is the less figured, slightly more "budget" Koa... If there is such a thing. My other batch was purchased wet (28% MC) Ive got to get it down to under 10% to work with. This could take months. But this wood is exhibition grade, figured Koa! If youre willing to wait and privy to airing out your wallet on the finest wood known to man, this second batch is for you No guarantees tho as I took a big risk paying this kind of money for wet wood and praying it doesn't crack during the drying process.

If you've never seen Koa, nothing, and I mean NOTHING glows like Koa wood. Its wooden gold, it really is!

Anyway, on to what I have!

If you have questions or wish to purchase one of these boxes, please contact me at flygrain@gmail.com

These first two are twins. 3x5" Koa. $70 ea. $125 for the pair.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was desperate to find some Monkey Pod. Not easy. I ended up finding a guy selling Monkey pod cutting boards at a craft fair. I bought one and repurposed it into a fly box. This baby is spectacular! The color and flash in the grain with the cream sap wood is sooooo nice! I put my highest grade cork in this one that I reserve for my very best boxes.

3x5" Monkey Pod $85

These next two are my "Riffle" Pocket Boxes. They have the same Koa as above on the lid and the body is Mahogany. Beautiful combo!
This one is $50

This Koa actually does have some slight figure in the grain

This box is the same as above, but I added some fun engraving on it. kinda gave it that island feel $60 *SALE PENDING*

Back Side

Thank you for looking!

Jay
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl

Last edited by Flygrain; 05-02-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Koa Wood Fy Boxes!!

On FB it looked like you were having a great time in Hawaii! I gotta love any wood that has "monkey" in the name. It is awesome looking.

I gave my daughter your info suggesting that your stuff would make a great Father's Day gift. Haha. So if you get an order from someone else with my last name, the box will be for me. I'm really hoping the suggestion I made works!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

When I finished that monkey pod box, I was having a wicked case of Deja Vu! I searched back on my projects and saw the Monkey Pod I got in Maui last spring produced an almost identical box! I was able to get two boxes out of that piece and I do remember they both sold within 2 hours of posting

Heres the box from last year *SOLD*
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Definitely unique and beautiful!
Flygrain likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jay: Great looking work! I forgot to mention that I gave that cigar box I ordered from you to my long time friend Pete, he was very impressed.

Larry
fyshstykr and Flygrain like this.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jay: Great looking work! I forgot to mention that I gave that cigar box I ordered from you to my long time friend Pete, he was very impressed.

Larry
Larry, I always love to hear that! Thanks buddy

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

BTW. For anyone interested, I snapped a picture of the prime Koa.. Or as they say in the islands "Da Kine Bra" Some day, this will be fly boxes!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Nice boxes! I'm going to consider one of these for sure. Keep up the great work. Aloha!
Flygrain likes this.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Business Member

For anyone who's bought my Riffle pocket box and wished it were just a bit larger, You may be interested in this new prototype. It is a very similar design but a bit larger. this box is about 3 1/4"w x 5 3/4"L and its a bit deeper too, so it can house steelhead flies and larger trout flies. For perspective, Ive photographed it next to my original Riffle fly box. I plan on adding these to my production line. I haven't settled on a name or price yet.

This particular one is made with spalted maple on the box and tiger maple on the lid.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Are you able to put a image if a Bonefish on any boxes?
Flygrain likes this.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
Are you able to put a image if a Bonefish on any boxes?
Absolutely