The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By guest59
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By oldskewl808

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default The Holy Grail of wood flyboxes!

*SOLD*

I brought home some wood from Hawaii last month. Some of it was dry and has already become fly boxes. But the really special wood, the highly figured Koa was too wet. To my surprised, I monitored the wood daily and watched the moisture leave the wood much faster than I expected. When it hit the magic number, 10%- moisture content, it was time to cut into it!

Here is the first fruit of this magnificent Koa! The intense 3 dimensional quality to this wood is very difficult to capture in a photograph. Trust me, it is incredible!

Little 3x4" jewelry boxes with a simple felt lining made with Koa like this are selling for $150-$175 in the islands!

This fly box is 3x5" with micro brass hinges, powerful mini magnets and high grade, ridged cork inserts. The finish begins with a deep penetrating tung oil to bring out the deepest characters in the grain and then finished with 5 coats of SPAR urethane.

This box is $145, firm.

Feast your eyes

Figured Koa
Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Flygrain; 05-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Holy Grail of wood flyboxes!

Whoo wee, looks like a deep beautiful crystal. Great Work.............

Dave
Flygrain likes this.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

"Hey honey remember that $1,000 Koa wood fruit bowl you wanted last time we were in the islands......guess what I found you instead"

Its a beaut and knowing what that KOA wood costs your price is more than fair. To bad I am $144 short
Flygrain likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

Nice! I bet that Monkey Pod dries up pretty fast too. Second box full is on the way.
Flygrain likes this.