The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Business Classifieds Featuring fishing tackle offers from retailers, manufacturers and others in the trade. Please see first post for information on how to register. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. Please note the bumping of adverts is not permitted.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By guest59
  • 2 Post By guest59
  • 1 Post By guest59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wood fly boxes. WOW!

I bought some wood at an auction. Took a bit of a gamble with this wood because it was totally black. Some S. American woods sweat oils in their raw form and can be black like this. It was labeled as Cocobolo. When I finally got around to cutting into this wood, I quickly discovered I'd been duped! This was infact Granadillo! I knew immediately by the color and smell. I was FAR from disappointed. Granadillo is one of my all time favorite woods. VERY hard to get and very expensive.
Not only was it Granadillo, but it was THE nicest specimen Ive ever seen!

The result? Two 4x6" fly boxes that are at the very top of anything Ive made!

These boxes are quite heavy by the nature of this wood. They also only have 2 coats of penetrating tung oil. the natural oils in this wood repels any other varnishes and the natural oils present a substantial water proofing and decay resistance. They do not have my normal 5 coats of SPAR varnish protection.
I cannot describe how smooth and silky this wood feels!

This first one is $100 **SOLD**

Click the image to open in full size.

Same thing here. Another piece of wood labeled as Cocobolo but in reality is Granadillo. Not as crazy as the first piece, but still VERY nice!

$90

Heres a cool box for you dark wood lovers. This wood is BLACK! But not so black you cant see the beautiful grain. Its a highly exotic African wood called Wenge.
This box is 3x5" and $70

Heres some details about these woods.

Wenge - Wenge | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

Ganadillo - GRANADILLO | Savage Woods

Last edited by Flygrain; 08-05-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Account on hold

guest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to beholdguest59 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wood fly boxes. WOW!

**all sold**
fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wood fly boxes. WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post
**all sold**
Good Answer and comes as no surprise. STUNNING fly boxes.

fae
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

No doubt these are beautiful pieces of art, I am curious as we fishermen are usually wet from the tips of our toes to the top of our heads on a regular basis is there any long term or short term detrimental affects due to moisture.

Thanks in advance
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Account on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
No doubt these are beautiful pieces of art, I am curious as we fishermen are usually wet from the tips of our toes to the top of our heads on a regular basis is there any long term or short term detrimental affects due to moisture.

Thanks in advance
LOL! Im usually always wet from mid-thigh down. Of coarse Id guess 10% of the time everything gets a bit soaked.

I build my boxes to be used! The vast majority of them have a minimum of 5 coats of SPAR Urethane. This provides a very high level of moisture/heat protection. These boxes here will not take the SPAR because it reacts with the natural oils in the wood. These oils are a natural protectant. These woods are what natives historically dug out for canoes. So I am confident they can be lovingly used like the others.

I have been using my wood boxes for years. The only issue Ive had was a day I fished all day in the pouring rain, wading Puget Sound. I like to leave my box open overnight to dry my flies. When I went to do that, I noticed the box had warped a little and wouldn't close all the way. That night I left the box next to a heat register in the house to dry gently. In the morning it was 100% returned to perfect condition, and remains that way to this day.
You should NEVER try to dry out a box quickly with a hair dryer or convection heater or something similar.

I include a business card in every fly box which reads on the back side...
"Although Flygrain wood boxes are built to very high standards and to withstand common use, they are 100% real wood. It is recommended to treat them with care regarding extreme moisture and heat exposure so their beauty and functionality lasts a lifetime"
mridenour likes this.