The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM

lifeonthefly is on a distinguished road
Default WTB: Entry level salt-water reel 8/9/10

Hello folks! I'm in the market for an entry level salt water reel in the 8/9/10 range.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM

NVYDVR1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WTB: Entry level salt-water reel 8/9/10

price range ?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lifeonthefly,

I think NVYDVR1 is correct. We can't make a suggestion if we don't know your budget. Even though you have asked for an entry level reel that may mean different things to different people. We also need to know your target fish.

When fishing Saltwater the reel is very, very important. Some people want to save money on saltwater reels but it is almost always a mistake. I use to recommend the Teton reels before they went out of business. I don't know about the new reels but the old reels were the best bang for the buck out there. It is a full frame reel with a good design. I can't recommend the new Teton reels as I have not seen one.

I can recommend the Nautilus reels. The CCF is an outstanding reel and built strong. The Nautilus FW+7 would be in the $300 range and would be good for occasional Bones and Reds. For real hard saltwater fishing it may be too light.

Bauer makes some good equipment and so does Ross. A lot of hard core saltwater fly fishers prefer to buy used Abel or Tibor reels rather than buying lower cost reels that are not built as well. A used Ross Canyon would be a very good choice.

Frank
Old 03-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

TFO outfit.