The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default WTB 2-3wt outfit

Hi, new to the forums, been lurking and figured why not post as I've been surfing fleabay for an 8' 2-3wt rig
Inexpensive (read divorce survivor cheap) as thats how it is right now, thanks in advance for no "you get what you pay for", LOL, aint that the truth, thought gently used was vastly superior to new low end.
My addiction to this wont be cleansed till I have another stick for the ponds around here
I have looked at the low end cabela's and thanks to this forum found gremlins site
anyhow, thanks, Claude
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTB 2-3wt outfit

Claude: Welcome to the forum! I have bought several rods/reels off EBay, you should find something that works for way less than retail. You might also scan the flyshopcloseouts web site, sometimes they have pretty good deals>
Fly Shop Closeouts

Larry
Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks Larry, much appreciated.
Been lurking for a while, and do surf the flyshopcloseouts- again, learned about that from here. Great site, figured I'd start posting finally
best, CWG
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

It's damn tough to find a decent 2 or 3wt used. You might try a LaCrosse Custom. I have a 6'-6" for creek fishing. They're about $60.

For a reel, you can get your hands on a Rip Tide 2-3 weight. It's not much, but I've been eyeing one for my creek rod, real light. It runs about $20.

Another option is the Caddis Creek CC61. You can get one of these for between 10 and 15 bux. Just a thought.

If you can get that far, I'll give ya a new WF3F line that I have that's never seen water nor been spooled up.

I'll keep my eyes open for ya.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm liking this place and the UL forum more and more.

bio: I bowhunt too, and have been humbled starting up flyfeeshing again. First time in 20 years I had to actually set a budget and stick with it- less than 100 to get a 3wt stick rigged-
In the past when an archery noob asked me where/how/what to get started and I said if you spend less than 300 bucks for your start rig, you'll be essentially be nothing more than a monkey with a pointy stick, lol.
I wonder how many I might have turned away from even trying-
With the help of some folks here and elsewhere, tracked down a suiteable Greys closeout 8' 3/4wt, while on fleabay found a usable graphite deal to mate the stick, purchased some line from a sponsor here and I'm in business.
Oh, certainly a Sage and an Allen reel are in my future, but not this year. In the mean time, I'm slamming sunnies next weekend!
thanks folks, CWG

btw, I gave my missmatched eagleclaw/diawa rigged abomination to someone who "thought they might like to try it", same fate waits this current rig in a year- hook a noob-
Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Well played cwg...well played!
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Ok, the greys close-out 8' (3 section), 3/4wt arrived, the cahill 3/5 reel arrived, Allens inexpensive WF4-F arrived, got the backing, furled leader, found a padded gun case that fits perfectly.
Total investment (yes, investment) 58 rod, 14.50 reel, fineflyline from Allen 11.00, furled leader ebay 3.00
ttl 83.50 this includes all shipping etc associated with getting them here. Oh hell yes.

Extremely happy goal reached.
thanks to those who PM'd, offered help in the forums etc.
Outstanding, kudos' CWG

btw, had the Greys G-series out grasscasting now, whew. amazing. not as fast as I had feared, lobbed 30 feet or so around the yard quite gracefully. Trying to look at, the butt to mid section appears pretty slow, mid to tip a medium, or maybe medium fast, for my style, its perfect. Too fast rods, while seemingly the rage now, make me snap my fly off, lol.
Allens line shot out like a laser beam, whatever brand it is, very nice. That ebay furled leader laid down after the line hit the grass like a dream.
the cheap cahills real was the only one less than a hundred bucks that met my target of 3-3.5 ounces. I reel with my right hand, another pain to find, Just a thumb and two fingers to cast this effortlessly.
boo-rah, off to water

Last edited by cwg; 05-19-2010 at 01:35 PM.