The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default wtb 4-5 weight reel for new glass rod

just got a new glass rod and am looking for a reel for it.
its a cabelas CGR 7' 4 weight with the cork seat with sliding bands.
i'm thinkin something retro-ish.
100 dollar range
thanks guys,

casey

ARFE
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: wtb 4-5 weight reel for new glass rod

Casey...depending on how retro you want to go, I might put a Pflueger on it...

If the weight is good for balance on the rod, a Redington Drift Is a nice click/pawl for about $100. I have 2 pals who are happy with them.

-Mike
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

i have a medalist on my other glass rod(featherlight), and love it.
im looking at something more cfo/hardy'ish.
i would like to find a early SA system one, but have had no luck tracking one down.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

At the $100ish price point you cant go wrong with the Cortland Retro reel, heck even at $200 I don't think you could go wrong. It is a click pawl reel with a drag a lot like the Hardy Lightweight series. It isn't as loud as the Hardys, but still pretty loud. There is an exposed palming rim like the CFOs so you get get the best of both worlds. It is also very light and looks pretty good too. I use a Cortland Retro 1 or Hardy Flyweight on my Cabela's CGR 359 and Scott F2 6'6" 3 wt. Definitely worth looking in to...

-Chase
Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM

anyone have a ross colorado they are trying to get rid of?

ARFE
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

tradenstuff dot com has a Colorado listed for $131. 30 bucks overpriced in my opinion, but that's how it goes with hard to find reels.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM

thanks for the link bradyb, not the right size though.
i'm looking for a 4/5 weight.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM

I used to own the 1 and in my opinion it would suit the 7' CGR (which I also have) just fine.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM

what reel do you currently have on it?

ARFE
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM

A Bill Ballan Trout Heirloom. A bit heavier than the Colorado but I think it holds even less line. I have a 4wt Delta on it and maybe 100 ft (not yds) of 20lb braid.