The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough
Default Wanted to Buy ~~~ Fly tying kit

My brother-in-law wants to start tying so I am trying to help him locate a kit.....he has nothing so a good basic kit would do great for him and he can add as needed......If you have a (basic or other) kit for sale please PM me and we'll go from there........
..Thanks:
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Wanted to Buy ~~~ Fly tying kit

heres a good idea. dont buy a pre packaged kit.

Select a few flies like pheasant tails, Hares ear nymphs, wooly buggers. Also decide on some tools, scissors, vise, bobbin, bodkin, hackle pliers
Got to your local shop, tell them to put something together for you for the flies you want to tie.
YOu'll get much better quality materails, for the money and only materials you're gonna use.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Shannon advised!!!!!

Most of the prepackaged kits out there don't contain quality feathers or tools so in the long run it is mostly just a waste of money and trying to tie with inferior equipment and materials can be frustrating. Do your brother-in-law a favor and follow Shannon's advice.

Larry
Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys......... great idea I was hoping to find a kit that someone had used for a few years then decided to get out....... I'll pass this info on to my in-law and see what he thinks..... THANKS AGAIN
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

She's gone

Last edited by brookfieldangler; 11-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have a used Danvise for sale...$26 shipped and it's yours

Still in good shape and pretty well regarded - especially as a beginner vise
^^^ That's a deal! and a good place to start.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 PM

I'll pass this info on to him...... THANKS
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Personally the only fly tying 'tool' I might buy used would be a vise.

Scissors, ceramic bobbin, threader, whip finisher, hair stacker, etc are really rather cheap and I don't think it would be worth it to spend a few bucks less for scissors that might be dull or a bobbin that might have a thread cutting nick in the tube. As others mentioned, it's better to buy materials individually based on pattern you're looking to tie.

Even vises don't have to be too expensive. I've tied for 2 years on a vise that cost less than $30. I'm looking to upgrade but it held hooks from 3/0 down to 24's. Though if you could find a good rotary vise used that could be worth it.
mcnerney likes this.