The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default WTB 906-4 Green Matrix blank or section

I'm looking for a section of a 9' 6" 4 piece green American tackle Matrix blank. The ferrule on the second section from the bottom has some cracks in it and I'd like to replace it with a new section. If anyone has one laying around from a broken rod, etc and would be willing to sell it, let me know! I may just end up buying a blank but figured it was worth checking.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTB 906-4 Green Matrix blank or section

I don't have that particular blank, but I have a couple of quick questions. How bad are the cracks and how far up the blank do they go?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The cracks don't go far, just a bit into the ferrule wrap, really there's one I can see clearly and some I suspect. Here are the best pics I could get

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not the best wraps and I wish I'd done the ferrule wrap a touch closer to the edge, but I like the rod the few times I had it out. The bottom section blew out one of my first times fishing it. The rod was loading with a deer hair mouse, there was a big 'crack' and it shattered. AmTac reluctantly replaced the butt section, indicating it looked crushed and I rebuilt that, but when I was getting ready to fish it again noticed this damage. Figured if I could find an easy solution/replacement it would save me dealing with them again.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at it, what I'd do if you can't find one, is take a hair dryer and remove all the flex coat and thread. Don't use anything sharper or harder than your thumbnail. Take alcohol and clean it well. Then superglue the cracks from the outside. Not sure if that will help a lot, but it can't hurt. Then rewrap it and make it tight but not damage it more tight. Then rewrap and refinish it. It does not look like the cracks go very far into the ferrule. It looks like it either came apart during casting or it was taken apart in a nonstraight manner. It doesn't look like It is structurally beyond use. After you fix it if you need to go this route, make sure you wax the ferrule when you use it and be careful to take it apart straight.
mojo and mcnerney like this.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I agree with what Dan said. You could also find a winding check that's not stepped down. Glue it on after you do the ferrule wrap. The epoxy will flow under the check if you carefully heat it with a disposable lighter. 3" or so away from the blank. Wave it back and forth. Just enoughh to temporarly thin the epoxy. I'll see if I can find a photo of a Lami I did with the ferrule band on it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a whirl, if nothing else I'll learn a bit. I did send an email to see if I could buy a replacement, but either way I'll strip the blank section. Thanks!