The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM

dynaflow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Airflo Lines

Good advice Brian,USPS seems to be the go.At the risk of hijacking the thread,if only U.S.flyshops realized how much business they're NOT getting with their outrageous shipping charges to Australia.One prominent company just hit me for $60USD shipping for a new rod and when it arrived it had a $35USD stamp on it.
Peter
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM

cocoaandme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
As I said,it's a flyline that weighs almost nothing.I'd ship in in a simple envelope without the box....but to illustrate by example,I recently bought a Redfish line from a Forumite who resides in a small town in the upper midwest (Michigan) and the flyline in the original box in a padded bag cost $6.12USD.shipped to the east coast of Australia via USPS.The guy who's buying your line is only down the coast a bit from me and I know him from the Saltwater Forum here.
Cheers
Ok thanks. The cheapest I can find is about $13 using usps but it needs an address to confirm the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Just a bit of info as I bring quite a bit of Gear from The US into Australia,I only use USPS as UPS is Too Expensive,I don't know about Fedex.
Brian.
Yeah I just checked UPS and fedex and the prices are insane.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
Good advice Brian,USPS seems to be the go.At the risk of hijacking the thread,if only U.S.flyshops realized how much business they're NOT getting with their outrageous shipping charges to Australia.One prominent company just hit me for $60USD shipping for a new rod and when it arrived it had a $35USD stamp on it.
Peter
Are there any issues with taxes at customs for shipped goods? Could that be a hidden cost that wasn't represented on the shipping label?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 PM

No there's no issues whatsoever with taxes or any other charges on goods shipped from the U.S.to Australia,providing that they are under $1,000AUD value,otherwise they may attract our 10% GST (Goods and Services Tax) much to the chagrin of Aussie retailers who are happy to charge like wounded bulls for the same stuff in their shops.The only real issue for us is warranty,as (generally speaking) the same Down Under retailers won't honour it.I've sent rods back to BVK,Orvis and Sage over the years and we pay the shipping both ways,but this is offset by the cheaper initial U.S.purchase price anyway.Oh yeah,don't use the online rates for USPS as they're way out of whack.
Peter
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaandme View Post
Ok thanks. The cheapest I can find is about $13 using usps but it needs an address to confirm the price.

Yeah I just checked UPS and fedex and the prices are insane.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Are there any issues with taxes at customs for shipped goods? Could that be a hidden cost that wasn't represented on the shipping label?
The only thing you have to watch is if you buy something on Ebay & they do The Shipping as well,even though there is no Import Duties they Tack on $4.88.
Brian.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------
Addition
Hi.
I Just checked & saw where Ebay have removed The $4.88 Import Duty on an item I looked at.
I only yesterday Contacted them,asked what The $4.88 Import Duty was for when We Had no Such Thing as Import Duties under $1000.
Brian.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 AM

Oh man don't get me started on Ebay...they're the worst offenders...you know,like sellers asking for $20USD to ship a flyline,and when you get it it's got a $9.90 postage stamp on it.A favourite way of gouging more $$ from the buyer.I've only just bought an item from an honest Ebayer in Salt Lake City who only charges "actual postage"...these are the guys who get my business.
Cheers
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 AM

casey79 is on a distinguished road

cocoaandme pm sent

Thanks peter, did you sell the rod, man was i tempted but SWMBO said no, would you like a dvd copy of the vhs you sent me?

Casey