The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 01:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buyer beware / read this

Having made several purchases through the forum I have always been very pleased with the outcome! Unfortunately there are dirtbags everywhere and it's sometimes hard to tell who to trust! Luckily Ard and Larry do a great job filtering out most of the **** but it's impossible to get them all! With this being said my recommendation is to always use Pay Pal or another control to protect yourself. There are to many swindlers out there who know how to smooth talk and even the most street wise can be fooled! In this day and age sending unprotected funds to anyone is playing with fire!
Hardyreels likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule, if I don't recognize the screen name at first glance I pass on the deal.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
As a general rule, if I don't recognize the screen name at first glance I pass on the deal.
Marco has a very good filter with his method of recognition. In the past I remember only one member contacting me about a classified purchase. The buyer felt that a reel purchased as 'Mint' was a bit banged up and was dissatisfied with the reel. Although that was an unfortunate situation it boiled down to 2 people having a different view of what was acceptable condition at a given price. There was no deliberate attempt to defraud anyone and not ship the goods. The case that prompted this thread is quite different. Unless there comes some sort of resolution, what we have had is a case of a sale which was followed by the seller dropping out of sight and no rod & reel being proffered.

For the time being we will go with the 100 post rule and I suspect that it will do it's job. I've read all the comments to this thread and everyone seems to be on the same page which is a good thing. If or when I learn of the matter being settled I'll come back to this sticky and post to that effect.

One last note; I know we have a lot of members who post links. These links lead to videos, web pages, and etc. When you see a new member make a first post which contains a link, be very careful. I clicked on a link that was supposed to direct me to a photo bucket account to view salmon flies that the poster wanted a "value" for on another forum several years ago. That link had flies but they were worth only as much as the hooks they were tied on. The fake Photo Bucket site Hijacked my computer and I ended up having to order and install a new hard drive in order to eradicate the virus!

Use prudence before you click links submitted by a first post member. If you ever take a re-direct that seems hinky, report the thread or post right away.

Thanks to all who help make this a great place to spend spring runoff time

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Like others, my experiences (about a 1/2 dozen) of buying through the Personal Classified forum here have been universally excellent.

In one case there was a mixup on shipping method which made me a little nervous for about a week, but it was a completely honest mistake on the seller's part. As a bonus, the rod was, in my opinion, in even better condition than the seller advertised.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So YES Ard. I have two lap tops, one for 'fun' the other for 'business.' I never down load to either without going through multi-anti's reviews, a 'view' maybe from a trusted site/e-mailer.

Both get a full on scan at least twice a day. Sh it happens.

Fred

Hah, just typing and an anti vir program wants updating.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've had no issues with buying things from the Classifieds here.. 3 things I stress... 1) Always use PayPal! You can get your money back through disputing a transaction with PayPal, They are pretty user friendly and I've never had an issue the few times I've needed to get money back on bad deals... 2) Never pay through PP with the "Gift" option.. You're pretty much screwed if your deal goes bad and you gifted the money to the recipient. 3) do your research... Better off missing out on a deal because you read up on it instead of getting a "deal" and you ended up with a lemon...

Also if the guy you are doing business with is a stand-up guy.. Ask for a 3 day examination period.. In these cases I offer to pay return shipping if the item doesn't work out.. Which has never been the case for me.. but It's good to have that grace period to examine items purchased.. Pictures can't show you performance
ted4887 likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Hardyreels would it be hard to introduce a feedback system?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is in the think tank at the current time, other than buying from established members at this time there is no way to tell you are getting a square deal.

I sent you some rep for your comment, that's our feedback system at this time.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM

zum will become famous soon enough

The current flyrod combo I'm using now was bought at another fly web site.
I know I'm to trusting but I'd like to think that people honest for the most part.
Sent a money order(which was probably dumb) but the combo arrived as stated but I will say,I was alittle nervious for awhile.
Think the next time I'll pm other members to see if they know the person or atleast use paypal.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I bought/sold from several different folks on this site with only the best of experiences.

I think others have stated it but if doesn't sound right it probably isn't. Ask the anally retentive that only another fly kook would understand and that should keep you safe.

Again great bunch of guys here. Thanks for a great site.

Pete A.
itchmesir likes this.