The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buyer beware / read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
The other way I see it done on many other forums I'm part of is the buyer seller feedback system. Then people can leave feedback and this will let others know if the seller is good to go or if the buyer is good to go.
Not (hopefully!) meant as a dumb question, but how does that work? And if 'they' have one in operation is that an indication they need one?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:27 AM

wineshark is on a distinguished road

I've given this some consideration and I'm still somewhat surprised at the strictures proposed on member/contributor sales via the website. I understand it does make sense to try to ensure that those who might sell via this site are actual fishers and contributors. I've fished since I was very young, like many/most of you, and fly-fished for more than 40 years, but I only discovered this site in the past 6 months, as I have a tendency to keep to myself. Having enjoyed the site and having learned quite a bit from it in that short time (thank you SweetandSalt, mcnerny, and Fred Evans, to name a few), I admit that I feel as though this is a community I can grow to trust. Certainly all of you who contribute to the site want to ensure that the trust is reciprocal. I'm not an Ebay kind of person, but I don't know that I'll ever get to 100 posts on the site, I don't have that much of an urge to make noise about my self/opinions (this post notwithstanding). You probably have a few other folks who subscribe who feel the same way. So if I have gear to sell, which I will from time to time, I'll figure out something else to do with it. Exclusivity isn't necessarily an advantage in any circumstance, though, and it is unfortunate that there have been those who may have taken advantage of the community that appears on these pages.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
Hardyreels would it be hard to introduce a feedback system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is in the think tank at the current time, other than buying from established members at this time there is no way to tell you are getting a square deal.

I sent you some rep for your comment, that's our feedback system at this time.

Ard
I'd love to have some sort of a 'trade/sales rep' system. Is this something that's still a consideration?
fredaevans likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-07-2014, 02:25 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wineshark, there is nothing exclusive about it. Anyone can get to 100 posts. Over the months you have been a member if when you read a post that was helpful you replied "thanks what a great post" or when someone posted a picture you made a brief comment you'd get to 100 and would be a familiar name on the forum. What we don't want is a lot of people joining just to sell and changing the focus of the forum. What we do want is people to be part of the community and if they happen to have things to sell from time to time there is a place for it. 100 posts should not be onerous if you are around the forum reading, enjoying and learning. You don't have to post anything big or even start threads of your own. We'd love to have you just jump in with a question or word of appreciation.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with William's thoughts on the matter and with the general rule on this forum. There are many avenues online to sell stuff, the fleabay and craigslist are obvious. Both have there own policing standards, and this huge forum has to have one as well.

I'm not big on ebay either, but the fact that there is a rating system and a built in guarantee is the only reason I will use it, and I won't buy anything from a seller with shady reputation. This site is mainly a forum, not a sales place, so if someone with 3 posts all of a sudden is trying to sell something it just doesn't feel right. I think that is a normal reaction. And I think that most of the regular contributors and readers here would feel the same way. Since there is no other way to gauge the relative honesty of an offer, the user activity seems like the most logical standard.
jaybo41 and ejsell like this.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Buyer beware / read this

Good thoughts all. Been a buy/seller on many occupations and only 'burned' once. We 'discussed' and sorted it out. 'Old Posters' got that way for a good reason?

Perhaps?

fae
Old 12-07-2014, 09:20 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I'd love to have some sort of a 'trade/sales rep' system. Is this something that's still a consideration?
It works very well on other hobbyist forums. The current system here works well too. As long as we don't overly restrict new members from buying or sending PMS it shouldn't drive off noobs. I was motivated to assemble some gear so I could fish and some forums make that a little too tough. There are other places to buy gear online of course, but I have found none better than here. I hope our classifieds grow.

Wineshark isn't completely off base. 100 posts is a ton for folks that aren't social butterflies. For me it's nuthin

I am glad we don't allow new registrants to join and dump gear the same day. I completely get that part.
fredaevans and jb1023 like this.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM

tcorfey is on a distinguished road

While the focus has been on scam sellers I would also caution for scam buyers.

The coin can be flipped and I was burned once by a buyer of goods and have read of others who have had similar experiences. So I would caution the sellers to take the same precautions you would take when buying from someone.

If I ever post for something to sell/buy I will usually but not always insist on selling/buying face to face. No one needs to go to the extreme I do but, you need to be careful with any faceless online transactions.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

It cost a lot of time effort and money to develop such a strong website.

This rule is no doubt one that plays off the quality, size and expense to create and maintain this little world we spend so much time in.

Nobody is asking for a commission or a percentage...Just mere participation. If you can read you can post. If you truly cannot post due to a handicap just send a pm to Ard and I bet a pass would gladly be given.

I for one understand and back the decision as this is a great give and take to be able to use the resource to buy your goods but also help make it a better stronger site.

2 pennies.
jaybo41, itchmesir, ts47 and 2 others like this.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:19 AM

honyuk96 is on a distinguished road

New to this forum myself, and just thought I'd chime in. First and foremost, it's too bad to hear of this deal gone bad, I feel for whoever was on the losing end. I think in general, post count can be a good measuring stick but can also be misleading. I'm a member on another board that I visit primarily for the fly tying, that's my thing. I comment often, but have only posted flies a handful of times. I'm recently divorced and with the divorce I lost a digital camera as well as a computer. Without the computer and being able to download to photobucket, my posting days came to a halt. I've made some fine friends on that site, but I also think many probably consider me to be just a poser, because I never post pictures. I tie flies regularly, lots of flies and would love to share, I just don't have the means to do it. So you can see the picture that's kind of been painted. It's understandable that guys aren't very willing to buy/sell, even converse with someone such as myself just based off post count/ content, which is unfortunate. I see some familiar handles here, hello Ard, Fred. Ard, I love your stories of Alaskan life as much as your fly tying/fishing ventures. It would be super cool if you did a TR of sorts of this cabin building business you do in the winter. I'd enjoy seeing photos of your projects. Hope all's well.
Matt
dean_mt likes this.