The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Exclamation Buyer beware / read this

Only 'Senior Members' having a 100 post count on the forum may list items in the classifieds for sale.

Recently we had a deal go bad, so do your self a favor before you buy.

This is not eBay, and we (the forum) make no profit from the sales that take place here. This classified sales forum is a member service for everyone to enjoy.

Although we have no 'Feedback Scores' like eBay there are a few things you can do to gage the person offering items for sale here. When you are thinking about responding to an item listed for sale, go to the sellers 'Personal Profile' and check some things out before you get into a deal.

1. Check to see when the seller joined the forum
2. In the 'Statistics' look at the posts the seller has made here.
3. Is there any personal info about the seller at all on the profile or is it blank?
4. Use only Pay Pal as a method of payment unless you have good reason to trust the seller.

Members here are good people and are not just here to sell tackle items, they post and they are part of the group discussions here. For our members protection from scammer's the post minimum had to be changed.

Note: if you currently have items listed and do not have the 100 post count, your sale will stay on the board. However, you will need to become more active in our discussions before you will be able to list another sale. You will need a 100 post count to list again.
imxer, Jackster, mcnerney and 3 others like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Re: Buyer beware / read this

What, if anything, should we do if we see a deal that looks 'funny'?

Should we post a warning - "I'd be careful here if I were you."

Should we PM the moderators?

Keep quiet?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I will add that I have purchased a few items from members on here with absolutely excellent results.

When somebody has a higher post count it is so much easier to know you are dealing with a legit person.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Buyer beware / read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
What, if anything, should we do if we see a deal that looks 'funny'?

Should we post a warning - "I'd be careful here if I were you."

Should we PM the moderators?

Keep quiet?
I'll defer to the mods for the official response but when I see something that is suspect, I report the post, that way the Moderators will get a notification and can intervene as needed. Let them handle it. You can report any post by clicking on the triangle icon with the exclamation point in it.

Post count can be deceiving so what has helped me is to have a conversation with the buyer or seller on the phone if you are unsure. In most cases when I have spoken to buyers or as a seller, the conversation has been for 30 minutes or so about various fly fishing related topics. This helps me get better feel for whom I'm dealing with and I'd like to believe it was mutually beneficial. The discussion also lets me get a feel for whether or not I'd use another payment method other than PayPal. If you have reservations, walk away from the deal. There are other places that provide you with greater security to make purchases or sell your gear. This is not to diminish the excellent experiences I've had here as a seller or buyer. I do appreciate the FREE service offered by the forum, it's just unfortunate anytime something like this happens in the fly fishing community.

Thanks Ard and Larry for staying on top of things.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Jay said above. If something doesn't look right, either do a reported post (it doesn't hurt anything) or send one of the Mods or Admins a PM.

I'm not aware of ever having a sale go south until now, but lately we have been getting a lot of folks that join the forum with the express purpose of selling some FF gear and then they are gone. Selling gear is not the sole purpose of this forum and that privilege should be reserved for the members that participate, so that is why we decided to make a few changes and hopefully protect the members the best we can. Personally, I have purchased lots of gear from the members and always had a great experience, but it only takes a few scumbags to ruin things.

Larry

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Not the post count for purpose of how many..but you can read them and understand who the person is a lot better with more posts.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God, this is the last thing I wanted to read...

"We few, we band of Brothers.....
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Sad to think the ferrell hominidae have found there way in here.

100 post to set up a scam... get serious!

Make it 500 at least with 6 months active participation over the six months, or 5 reputation points, or something along those lines. Make it hard and not worth the effort to burn threw disposable email accounts. (Otherwise find someone who is willing to stick their neck out for you and post your ad for you.)

One thing that works in a couple forums where I go looking for NLA go-fast-goodies or +20 year old cars is a stickie in the top of the "Classifieds" that is a voluntary listing indicating previous good purchases and good sales. Easy enough to bypass, but it is something. Doesn't point out the scams, but it does point out the real human beings.

I hate thieves! Hopefully someone has already paid the scammer a social call.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I totally agree with RU's numbers, but he makes several good points. This IS NOT E-Bay. Posting content, not numbers, are what count for me if I'm considering a 'buy.'

Fred
Hardyreels and winxp_man like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:13 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

The other way I see it done on many other forums I'm part of is the buyer seller feedback system. Then people can leave feedback and this will let others know if the seller is good to go or if the buyer is good to go.
Hardyreels likes this.