The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever deal with newtyer1

Todd I's suspect anyone as long as you're a member and logged in.
Fred
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Guys,

Since the new restrictions the personal ads section has really slowed to a trickle. I've noticed as as much as I love fishing I also love buying/selling my hobby stuff. I fall in and out of love with some reel, rod, etc. all the time.

These classifieds until very recently was full of ads from great guys all the time but it has slowed to a trickle.

Are we protecting us from ourselves too much?

Pete.
rapman and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
Guys,

Since the new restrictions the personal ads section has really slowed to a trickle. I've noticed as as much as I love fishing I also love buying/selling my hobby stuff. I fall in and out of love with some reel, rod, etc. all the time.

These classifieds until very recently was full of ads from great guys all the time but it has slowed to a trickle.

Are we protecting us from ourselves too much?

Pete.

I would say so. I just sold a bunch of rods and reel bud didn't do it here because I don't have that many posts.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've watched various classified sections over the years and there are always slow periods. I'd chalk your observation of our classifieds slowing to a trickle up to that. People are fishing and are all gear'd up, vacations, etc. The overwhelming majority of people here aren't going to stop listing gear because of a bozo or two, though I'd bet people may be a bit more cautious. It will pick up again.

I'm good with the rules as they are. With a 200 post limit, if you contributed to only 4 discussions per day, you'd have enough posts in under 2 months to sell gear here. The classified section is a benefit to us, not the focus of the forum. People who aren't joining in the fun are missing out. There are plenty of other places on the inter webs to buy and sell gear, including the big auction site. Just my opinion.
williamhj likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 07-13-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

jaybo41;

Your quote," There are plenty of other places on the inter webs to buy and sell gear, including the big auction site." In my mind kind misses what I'm saying.

I go to a local flyfishing club meeting and belong to a local gun club. EVERY single meeting or outing there's members horse trading, swapping, selling, buying, stuff. It's part of the fun.

I personally have met great guys buying selling here. Caught my largest redfish on fly with a great reel I bought here! I get and send PM's to people about what they are selling buying even if not buying/selling to me/them.

EBAY is not in the same spirit at all. Cold and calculating, I've learned how to wait till last 6 seconds to snap what I want. It's dog eat dog there, which is ok but you never meet other fly fisherman on that place.

But here is (was) friendly guys selling/buying stuff.

Lots of buying/selling at other sites right now. Last new add (not one with new post within it) is close to a week old.

Pete A.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pete,

I'm with you, we have a super membership here and that's what makes it fun to post. I've had good transactions with people who only read the forum and do not contribute. Those transactions include phone calls and discussions. I want to know who I'm dealing with, and equally important, I want to provide prospective buyers with a comfort level. To that end, I've been lucky and have always had excellent transactions with people. Seeing these incidents though does make me more cautious however.

The advantage that you have by trading/buying/selling at a fly fishing club meeting is that you actually see and know these individuals. Since we don't have that luxury here in a virtual community (for the most part), my guess is the change to 200 post count was enacted to encourage new members to contribute elsewhere on the forum. By doing so, the current membership base can get to know them better. And maybe, just maybe they'll stick around and contribute, not just buy and sell.

Just my opinion.

By the way, I do agree, buying from a forum and established members is my preferred way to go. Sometimes the auction site has it's advantages as well, but is far less personable.

This board, for as long as I've been watching, has always seen less transactions than some of the others. I still believe though, that it's just slow right now and will pick up. Lots of folks are out there fishing!
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've bought from some honorable folks here. I hope it does indeed pick up.

Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM

I've got some nice rods I'm selling but won't list here now.

Will go straight to 'bay. Might as well go straight to where it will get the visibility, and probably better price. Hey if I can get $8 more there versus selling to a potential fly fishing friend so be it.

Just don't need anyone to protect me from myself. It's really only fly fishing stuff, take the risk. Real simple choice.

jaybo41,

I buy/sel on Ebay, here (use to), and five other fishing sites. Also face to face. Face to face sales ain't majic. People try to shame you or ridicule you into lowering a price or accepting lower quality goods. Can IMHO be more upsetting than internet sales. So don't think there majic there.

All have pit falls and all have benefits. Ive found open/free single hobby focused sites like this one to be the best venue. Easy to spot kooks/crooks if you just ask the anally retentive questions only a real fly guy would know. If you don't get the answers (or if buyer doesn't ask same), then simply walk away.

Pete A.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about you guys, but I've been too busy using my gear/trying to figure out what I can let to of now that summer is here. I'll post for sales when the season is over

To another point, I have had this handle for several things (YouTube, etc.) and it identifies me to others who get it. Personally, I find that for someone with young friends, etc. who are very Internet-savvy, it's unwise to use your real name in places online, even like this. Fortunately, I'm not in a business where I'm not allowed to use social media, but many of my friends are and for good reason.

If someone wants to know my name on here, they can search my posts... It's out there, but they'd really have to look (ie. be an active participant). But my name in here will never come up if a client searches for me online, and that's good because its really none of their business as long as I'm not doing anything wrong. Some of us live in the public eye enough as it is, and like the pseudo-anonymity afforded by handles (plus, I think they're fun, so there).
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The thread has gotten away from the original issue, and reason it was tagged: Warning about a particular individual who has been taking advantage of the general trust and good-will of forums like this. If there is energy around discussing the posting limits for selling items it is probably better to start a new thread or contact the admins directly.
jaybo41 and troutnut4 like this.