The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM

dynaflow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone ever deal with newtyer1

Maybe,but the comments are relevant.I've made friends and successfully bought from the good people that inhabit this site from across the other side of the world (Australia) and I believe that the numbers of posts(i.e.establishing some credibility) required before selling goods is important.I've just raised this very issue with Mods on one of the two Aussie sites I frequent....a member who had made two posts in three and a half years of membership (both buying from the Classifieds) snapped up a rod..and no I wasn't interested in the rod.My point is of course that this person hadn't contributed to the Forum in any way but was simply using it as another place to get a bargain.
Cheers
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

OK, Guys. I just got the heads up the newtyer1 is back in action as bamboo1 over on the Classic site. I suppose he's hoping our attention span is as short as his. Help get the word out.
Be aware ... be very aware.
jaybo41 and jslo like this.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
Maybe,but the comments are relevant.I've made friends and successfully bought from the good people that inhabit this site from across the other side of the world (Australia) and I believe that the numbers of posts(i.e.establishing some credibility) required before selling goods is important.I've just raised this very issue with Mods on one of the two Aussie sites I frequent....a member who had made two posts in three and a half years of membership (both buying from the Classifieds) snapped up a rod..and no I wasn't interested in the rod.My point is of course that this person hadn't contributed to the Forum in any way but was simply using it as another place to get a bargain.
Cheers

From a sellers perspective though, that's fine with me. So long as I know that I'm getting payment up front, I have nothing to worry about, and my product has been sold.

However, as far as buyers are concerned, there needs to be a level of trust established. Even when someone does have 200+ posts, or however many you see fit, you just never know what someone is capable of until it's too late. Perhaps a feedback system is a good way of helping potential buyers know the seller a bit better.

Upping the required limit for people to post seems a bit... dramatic to me. Just because there was one bad apple in the bunch, doesn't mean that we should punish everyone else who lives an honest life. My $.02.

Thanks Auntie Em! I've got a friend that frequents those classifieds, so I'll make sure he knows.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A new person has no problem BUYING. So yes, if the guy pays up and he is new he can do that.

What I am concerned about is SELLING. Allowing a new person immediate access to post an item FOR SALE puts us at risk from scammers. Placing a post limit requirement makes it more likely that potential scammers will move on to greener pastures that do not require a posting limit to sell.

I think like most things in life, it comes down to perspective. What policy is better for most of the current members of this bulletin board vs for new members? If you are an honest new member it means you can't immediately sell vs a greater level of protection for current members.

Another fact not to lost in the discussion is that this policy is not all negative for new members. New members also benefit from the same level of protection if they decide to buy just after joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
From a sellers perspective though, that's fine with me. So long as I know that I'm getting payment up front, I have nothing to worry about, and my product has been sold.

However, as far as buyers are concerned, there needs to be a level of trust established. Even when someone does have 200+ posts, or however many you see fit, you just never know what someone is capable of until it's too late. Perhaps a feedback system is a good way of helping potential buyers know the seller a bit better.

Upping the required limit for people to post seems a bit... dramatic to me. Just because there was one bad apple in the bunch, doesn't mean that we should punish everyone else who lives an honest life. My $.02.

Thanks Auntie Em! I've got a friend that frequents those classifieds, so I'll make sure he knows.
fredaevans, jaybo41 and mridenour like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM

jbennett is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty new and posted a want to buy ad. Glad I was able to do that. I ended up completing two transactions. I don't have enough gear to need to worry about selling yet but is hate to see posting restrictions. As long as people use PayPal and common sense i.e. doing a normal PayPal transaction for goods and services and not "gifting" the money to avoid fees they have some recourse through PayPal for outright fraud. I see on other forums people suggest to "gift"the money all the time. That's a really bad idea unless you know the person well. And its sort of cheating PayPal out of there small fee.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

The pentax camera forum has a very good feedback system. The admins should look at that. Buyers and sellers can get feedback for every transaction and everybody has access to look at it.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
OK, Guys. I just got the heads up the newtyer1 is back in action as bamboo1 over on the Classic site. I suppose he's hoping our attention span is as short as his. Help get the word out.
How did you come by this evidence that newtyer1 is now bamboo1? Can you share the details please.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the site, click 'search' and then in 'Search for Author' type in Bamboo1. You'll see all his posts. The evidence is there, start with his first post on the site, but in others he tells more and also posts pictures etc.. He identifies himself as Scott Martin and tells the story he has told in the past to get favors from people. I have never dealt with the man so have no first hand experience, but have heard enough to be very, very wary.
motorshooter likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Go to the site, click 'search' and then in 'Search for Author' type in Bamboo1. You'll see all his posts. The evidence is there, start with his first post on the site, but in others he tells more and also posts pictures etc.. He identifies himself as Scott Martin and tells the story he has told in the past to get favors from people. I have never dealt with the man so have no first hand experience, but have heard enough to be very, very wary.
Thanks! This is good info to pass on
Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if it is proper to crosspost posting from other BB's. Admins please delete if this is out of line. Perhaps an exception can be made in this case. Here are Scoot Martin's (AKA Newtyer1, now Bamboo1) first few post on the Classic fly Rod Forum

He's at it again. Ironic posts since he reportedly used the PHW at Quantico to scam donations.

-----------

Hello fellow board members, My name is Scott and I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I am originally from Massachusetts and Rhode Island and miss the ocean dearly. I am a Disabled Veteran of the Iraq War and proud owner of a new Bamboo. I was at a Project Healing Waters Event last week called the Mossy Creek Invitational and must say, it was the most fun since I have been home from Iraq. You see I suffer from PTSD and it has completely taken the fun out of all the things I use to like to do like fishing. I say I haven't fished in 11 years but, truthfully it has been atleast 30 years. Back then I used a Phillipson Master Glass rod which was recently sent back to me after 30 years or so. At the event last week, I was given a new Bamboo rod made by Fred Paddock. It is a 8' 5wt and I believe it was his first bamboo because it is marked #1. I am really excited about it. I am going to PA next month to join another PHW trip and thinking I am going to use this rod.

During the event last week, I caught my first fish in 30 years. They ranged from 14-1/2" to 22" and had a blast. It kept my mind focused on the cast and presentation. I have an extreme problem focusing and stay interested in anything for long periods at a time. I also suffer from agoraphobia(the fear of being around a lot of people)which didn't hinder me at all. I was very focused and the day just flew by. I look forward to sharing my time through posting, possibly make a couple fishing buddies and learning a thing or two about fly fishing.
Scott

Scott Martin

I have a Bamboo Spinning rod that I built a couple years ago. It's around 5' long 2pc. Give me an e-mail and we'll talk some more about price IF your interest.

Scott Martin

Thanks Munsey, I have already found that out during the event last week. Now I am anxious to get back out but, I can't afford my license since the VA can't get thier act together to pay me my proper disability. So, for now I just sit and think about the next trip with PHW. It's very frustrating that I can't afford something as small as a license but, the bills have to come first.

Scott

------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This fellow has 'real problems!' I wonder what drives that sort of mind. That was a statement, not a question.