The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Cigar Box Hooks & Feathers Kits...

meathelmet,

I'm glad to hear that you liked my "little selection" of goodies to get you started down the fly-tying road. I've been blessed along the way to have some good friends-- some now gone, while others remain --who've made it their life's work to keep me busy. Couple that with my own "pack-rat" tendencies, and you've got the makings for bins that "my kids" and I will be lucky to get through...

And, if anyone else needs hooks for the upcoming hours at the vise, I've set aside some vintage cigar boxes for my friends here on NAFFF. So, if you have a need, just give me a shout...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

As of this morning, November 7, 2013, I'm ramping up the hook totals for my fellow tyers from 400+ to 450+ hooks and the Whiting feathers clumps totals from 2 to 3 clumps with every "cigar box kit..." And, the hooks will range from Mustad to Daiichi and Tiemco...

Enjoy, everybody...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

pretty cool idea using cigar boxes for hooks and making a kit
buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-09-2013, 06:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
pretty cool idea using cigar boxes for hooks and making a kit
buzz
Young and a 'CeGar' store a short walk away in north Seattle. They saved the empty boxes for me. God the smell of the Cedar wood was magic. To young to legally drive so just took my fly rod and walked the mile south to "Green Lake" in north Seattle.

To be honest, I didn't have the 25 cents for the bus fare. Some of the drivers would just pull over and 'Get in, how many did you catch?' Same when going to the first two years at the University of Washington. Tuition and books drained me of every penny I had.

But I paid up. And I got 'my monies worth' 90+ percent of the time. There were a couple of times where I just had to stand up and tell the 'Teacher' 'YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHXT YOUR EYES ARE BROWN!'

fae
Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 PM

meathelmet has a spectacular aura aboutmeathelmet has a spectacular aura about

I just wanted to send another thanks to Hairwing530 for the cigar box of hooks and his "beginner fly tying" package he sent me.

I decided to hit the river for some smallies but instead hooked into 8 walleyes! The funny thing was the bait chunkers were throwing white grubs with a tail and I was throwing green and black wooly buggers....go figure. Luckily the walleye were hungry because I still lack and fly fishing skills.

Again, thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:54 PM

If you're in need of hooks, a great vintage wooden cigar box and a very nice piece of cutlery, take a look at "The Cigar Box 500+ Reloaded..."

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathelmet View Post
I just wanted to send another thanks to Hairwing530 for the cigar box of hooks and his "beginner fly tying" package he sent me.

I decided to hit the river for some smallies but instead hooked into 8 walleyes! The funny thing was the bait chunkers were throwing white grubs with a tail and I was throwing green and black wooly buggers....go figure. Luckily the walleye were hungry because I still lack and fly fishing skills.

Again, thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Great photo there and this might be a short memory but I don't recall anyone fly fishing for walleye. Great brace of fish.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM

I went out again with my new wooly buggers I made from the materials Jerry sent me but I have to admit they looked more like wooly buggers with a bad case of mange!

Once again I caught my limit on the walleyes!

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Bad case of mange or not, that's one nice group of walleyes, my friend... Keep it up and I'll be sending you my "buggers" orders...

Glad to see that you're enjoying the stuff. You know where to find me if you start running low.

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Jerry,

Just wanted to let you know that your cigar box and material has gotten me ready for my first fly swap!

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Thanks again!

Ed