The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default WTB 3wt reel

Brothers, I bought the worlds worst fly reel. Its Cabelas Prestige and there are not words to describe how much I hate that thing. Too bad as Cabelas makes some good tackle, just not this reel.
So, I have a very nice Redington 3wt CT in need of a reel. If any of you have a small low dollar reel I will give it a good home.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WTB 3wt reel

How cheap you could pick up an Okuma SLV2/3 for about $60 on the auction site. Probably lots of knock off types even cheaper.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

you could find a nice medalist 1492 online.
that would be a great pairing for that rod

casey

ARFE
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Hardy/Greys G1 is a nice little 3/4 wt clicker that would suit that rod. I think I got mine for around $50.00.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Brothers, I bought the worlds worst fly reel. Its Cabelas Prestige and there are not words to describe how much I hate that thing. Too bad as Cabelas makes some good tackle, just not this reel.
You might want to start a thread on the worst reels ever on the main board
In my experience, there's quite a few that are/were much worse than the Prestige. Which is made by Okuma by the way.. at least mine was .
Cabela's doesn't make their own reels, they just re-brand them. Don't even think of trying to buy parts unless you know the original manufacturer
I don't like my Prestige reel either, but but I've had worse, much worst. And one of those was a different reel from Cabela's

As for a replacement....I'm with Casey
caseywise likes this.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Don't know how small or low cost your next reel needs to be, but the Allen ATS is currently on sale.
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You might want to start a thread on the worst reels ever on the main board
In my experience, there's quite a few that are/were much worse than the Prestige. Which is made by Okuma by the way.. at least mine was .
Cabela's doesn't make their own reels, they just re-brand them. Don't even think of trying to buy parts unless you know the original manufacturer
I don't like my Prestige reel either, but but I've had worse, much worst. And one of those was a different reel from Cabela's

As for a replacement....I'm with Casey
I wondered if Cabela's changed manufacturers of their branded reels through the years. Only bad reel model I ever got from them is the Wind River FQ just ordered. But that was years ago and they look different now. The Prestige Plus on my daughters new 4WT has a nice drag for the price, much like my Okuma IMO. These are cheap reels though, so I guess we all just find one that's acceptable to us, and we aren't out much if it doesn't last.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

What is 'low dollar' for you?

Going for about $100 or less here'd be my list:

- ATS from Allen Fly Fishing $79 (listed as 3-5wt and is heavier than the others)
- Orvis Battenkill $100
- LL Bean Pocketwater $79 (listed as 3-5wt but weighs a bit less than the ATS)
- Several from Angler's Roost $50-$80 depending on model

Do you have the 7'6" or the 8'6" CT? I don't stress much about 'balance' between the rod and reel but if you have the 8'6" rod I'd worry less about getting a slightly heavier reel (a 3/4 or 3/5wt rather than a 2/3wt)
Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Just built a 3wt on a Matrix blank and chose a Ross FlyStart. Kind of a budget rig.

Good little reel with a "real" drag if/when its' needed. Spares spools are inexpensive.

Does not have the romantic "clickity clackity" but will do a journeyman's job.

Pete A.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Don't know how small or low cost your next reel needs to be, but the Allen ATS is currently on sale.
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
I came within a frogs hair of buying one last night, for the most part just because I've been wanting to try an Allen. But spending eighty bucks for a reel to hang on a three weight seems silly. I mean all it has to do is hold line, not overspool, and not be intolerably ugly. I'll buy an Allen when I upgrade the reel on my eight weight. I figured I'd let Cabelas send me different model. It can't get any worse and all I'm out is shipping.