The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default For those new fibergalss rods, a Light Weight Reel;

I bought a reel a long tome ago because I was going to build a 3 weight fiberglass in 6'6" or so. Truth is that I don't need any more 3 weight rods here in Alaska and I never bought blanks.

If you are eyeballing an Epic or Kabuto rod and are wondering what might make a good vintage American reel with left or right hand retrieve this may interest you.

I have a 'New' 1979 Martin MG-3 complete with extra spool and leather carry pouch. The Manual - the warranty card, and original box in good order also.

I paid a high price for this little reel and believe it is worth it if I were going to put it on a fine handcrafted lightweight rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

These reels have a good little check system in them suitable for small stream fish.
I have another of these but my original is not like this one. This one is new, never been lined or mounted to a rod as far as I know. I have to get what I paid plus postage for it and will send it to a buyer for 135 dollars, I'll include the postage in that cost. I paid 122 plus postage when I bought it.

It is a fine example of this reel and rare to see in a complete set almost 35 years after production. It is spotless and a classic, not for everyone but I thought to offer. It is not a bargain unless you are looking for a classic reel in new condition.

Ard
craigthor likes this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For those new fibergalss rods, a Light Weight Reel;

Any chance you know the weight on this, also how would it handle a 2wt line in your opinion?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Craig,

2 3/4 Oz. 3" outside diameter - 13/16 inside spool depth.

It has a small arbor and they need significant backing to fill the spools. You could use a #2 DT up to a #4 DT with it.

If you think you may want this please let me know because it is listed elsewhere and I need to stop that.
Sorry to say that now but I put it on the sale place for 150, had and offer, told the guy 135 or no deal..............

Then I thought that maybe I should see if a member here would want it. Bad move not coming here first but I have no good excuse other than I thought you guys might think I was crazy asking what I am.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Craig,

2 3/4 Oz. 3" outside diameter - 13/16 inside spool depth.

It has a small arbor and they need significant backing to fill the spools. You could use a #2 DT up to a #4 DT with it.
Thanks... wish it was Friday and see if I got my bonus or not. That or put up a 2wt rod and my Brookie reel for this classic.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

I removed it from eBay.

it was there for 150 fixed price with a make offer button. 12 watchers but the best offer was 115. By the time you pony up 11.5% between eBay and P pal you can't take less than you paid or you'll be sorry later.

I will leave it here or keep it. If you want it I'll have it.

Ard

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Ard

Your reel is sold if you still have it. PayPal tonight or a money order in the morning. I have no preference. You'll be mailing it to Craig.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

OK, PM address info and it'll go out tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
OK, PM address info and it'll go out tomorrow.
Payment sent, ignore the PayPal addy. Craig will PM his Dubuque, IA address.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Payment sent, ignore the PayPal addy. Craig will PM his Dubuque, IA address.
Done.