The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default WTB: Martin MG-3 Fly reel

Anyone else have a lightly use Martin MG-3 they might part with. Wouldn't mind a second one for a second rod. Worse case is I'll share the reel I have now and switch spools.

I did find one on the bay but is priced way too high for something marked as new though is spooled and has scuff marks on the outside. Also they said they won't take pictures of the internals so I'm going to definitely pass as that seems they have something to hide.

No big rush just thought I would put out a feeler.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: WTB: Martin MG-3 Fly reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Anyone else have a lightly use Martin MG-3 they might part with. Wouldn't mind a second one for a second rod. Worse case is I'll share the reel I have now and switch spools.

I did find one on the bay but is priced way too high for something marked as new though is spooled and has scuff marks on the outside. Also they said they won't take pictures of the internals so I'm going to definitely pass as that seems they have something to hide.

No big rush just thought I would put out a feeler.
I'm not familiar with their models, so I'm not sure what you're reffering to. I do have a Martin Multipler I bought as a kid. Its scuffed up from me unspooling it in the beach, but it works great. Its spooled up with a 9wt line, anr I fished it not a week ago. PM me if you are interested. I will make you a very nice deal.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.

This is what I'm after.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

This is what I'm after.
Not even close. But hey, you have to ask.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

now that is a sweet reel!
i too really like the old martins
i wonder if ard is regretting selling it yet

casey

ARFE
Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Craig,

I don't have another I'll sell but I can answer that question Casey posted. Without even looking for another I had a fellow offer me one less the box and papers that Martin made for LL bean back around 1985 It is 3/16" larger in diameter than the MG-3 but essentially the same reel with an exposed rim for palm control.

Of course I started looking for an LL Bean reel case as soon as I got the reel and found a nice one for the reel but it has not arrived yet. I really think I'll make this the reel for my old Orvis Glass rod. I had to give a good price for it but until I was sent a picture I never even knew LL Bean had commissioned reels from Martin, pretty cool. It's a sort of brown finish, once I have the case I'll stick a picture on Reel Love.

Funny how things work, it was only about a week if that when a fellow from the Spey Pages said, 'Thought you may be interested in this old clicker', and the next thing you know I was sending money
caseywise and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Craig,

I don't have another I'll sell but I can answer that question Casey posted. Without even looking for another I had a fellow offer me one less the box and papers that Martin made for LL bean back around 1985 It is 3/16" larger in diameter than the MG-3 but essentially the same reel with an exposed rim for palm control.

Of course I started looking for an LL Bean reel case as soon as I got the reel and found a nice one for the reel but it has not arrived yet. I really think I'll make this the reel for my old Orvis Glass rod. I had to give a good price for it but until I was sent a picture I never even knew LL Bean had commissioned reels from Martin, pretty cool. It's a sort of brown finish, once I have the case I'll stick a picture on Reel Love.

Funny how things work, it was only about a week if that when a fellow from the Spey Pages said, 'Thought you may be interested in this old clicker', and the next thing you know I was sending money
Can't wait to see that beauty, wonder if it is more like the Martin MG-3SS reel versus the traditional 3. SS stands for side skirt I believe which is referring to the spool.

Nice, I've got one offer for a well used one the gear and clicker are top notch just shows wear on the body and spool. I may jump on it even just for future parts. I've found a newish one but being told it looks new but spooled and has nicks consistent with being used makes me doubt the story and $108 price tag.

Nice thing is Martins seem to be pretty easy to find if I keep watching and looking.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've seen decent ones sell for as low as 45 dollars and ones in the box as high as 123.00 with the postage.............. This LL Bean reel seems just a tad larger but not MG-7 size, I do have one of those in real good shape. The Bean reel is the SS type reel but without any Martin markings. Stamped made in USA and definitely an MG series reel, just made specifically for Bean. The case should be here Monday and I'll take a couple pictures when it is lined up.

Finding a bargain really depends on how many people are after one of them at the same time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've seen decent ones sell for as low as 45 dollars and ones in the box as high as 123.00 with the postage.............. This LL Bean reel seems just a tad larger but not MG-7 size, I do have one of those in real good shape. The Bean reel is the SS type reel but without any Martin markings. Stamped made in USA and definitely an MG series reel, just made specifically for Bean. The case should be here Monday and I'll take a couple pictures when it is lined up.

Finding a bargain really depends on how many people are after one of them at the same time.

so true ard,
i recently watched a decent, not great, medalist 1494 climb from
my bid of 19.00 to almost 70.00 in a matter of 45 seconds.
the three bidders had at it till the final tick

casey

ARFE
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Well in spectacular style I was offered 2 NIB old stock Martin 63's so I snatched them up, I may end up putting the MG3 up for sale depending on how well the 63 balances the 2 wt. This will allow me my OCD proof Matched set of reels to my matched set of custom rods.