The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By littledavid123
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Original Abel Pt. 5

I have an original, built by Steve Abel, cork draw-bar drag, Abel Pt. 5...black, in right-hand wind. These earlier reels were right or left only, not convertible accept by returning to the shop. Contemporary draw-bar Abels have the cork drag mounted on a plate with squared teeth around its circumference. These symmetrical gear teeth permit reversal of the locking dogs hence changing from right to left wind. They also, being larger, permit more "play" therefore more "shake" during casting. This original Abel features much finer, less shake-prone, gear teeth.

However, I am more or less completely left-hand wind now and this fine reel lays fallow. It's stellar performance is as-new and, though it has no bends or dings, does have a little reel-rash on the perimeter of its back-plate, the result of its rod, a Sage SP, having been leaned against a few streamside trees. But only a few, this reel has really not had very extensive use.

Here is its data from Abel's current website: Abel Reels - Specifications

Pt.5

$375

$170 Spool

5.0 oz.

3.000 Diameter

.750 Width

5+165 20# . 6+130 20# Capacity

They say its a 5/6 reel, I think of it as best for a high performance 4/5.

I would prefer not to sell this reel. I would, though, happily trade it for a left-hand wind Abel in comparable, very good condition. It would have to be a cork draw-bar Abel, not a spring and pawl model, and, while I favor black, I would consider another color and I am open minded on size as I do fish the salt and appreciate most Abel's are larger than this ultimate trout sized example.

Thank you, S&S

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Original Abel Pt. 5

One of my favorite reels S&S. I have the exact same old model in LHW. My first Abel that started me down a long dangerous path with the brand. I agree with you on the size as well. I fish mine on a 4 weight Sage ZXL and a Burkheimer 489.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I bought a older model Abel #2 (big game) that was right hand with non-squared teeth and was not reversible. I called Abel and for $50.00 they sent a new gear with squared teeth allowing it to become reversible. May want to call them and discuss before selling.

Dave
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I actually prefer the small gear teeth to the reversible squared because there is less "shake" from the reel during casting (one of the few Abel foibles). Also the reel would no longer be "original". For you connoisseurs of these reels I consider this being an original Steve-built model would have special value. However, my timing is intentional and if no fair trade emerges from among our ranks, in a week and a half, I will bring it to the gentlemen from Abel at their booth in Somerset and ask them to replace the disc with a left hand fine toothed version (assuming availability for this model).
Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I actually prefer the small gear teeth to the reversible squared because there is less "shake" from the reel during casting (one of the few Abel foibles). Also the reel would no longer be "original". For you connoisseurs of these reels I consider this being an original Steve-built model would have special value. However, my timing is intentional and if no fair trade emerges from among our ranks, in a week and a half, I will bring it to the gentlemen from Abel at their booth in Somerset and ask them to replace the disc with a left hand fine toothed version (assuming availability for this model).
S&S I just had a No. 1 that I had refurbed by Abel. I really wanted a saw tooth and they didn't have any - only square tooth. I still have the original plate that is thankfully LHW but not in the best of shape. I plan on using extra fine grit sandpaper to see if I can do anything to get it where I want it to be but am not confident in recreating the level even surface area of the original specs. Sadly, unless Abel has an old one laying around I suspect you will have a hard time replacing it with a saw tooth. I wish you luck regardless of the direction this goes for you and apologies for junking up your trade/sale thread.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 PM

No way Chi. Interestingly, I vaguely recall a conversation I had with Don Swanson at a Show in which he said, for his own reels he installs the fine tooth plate. Now I don't know if that was when they still had old stock or if they still make them on a custom basis. Whether I trade this reel or not I will inquire about that.

Still, doesn't somebody have an older generation Super 9 or 11 that they never use that would like the coolest #4/5 reel Abel ever built?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

May have better luck posting on the sister thread in England, some of those chaps would prefer a RHW and be more likely to part with a LHW.

Dave
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Still, doesn't somebody have an older generation Super 9 or 11 that they never use that would like the coolest #4/5 reel Abel ever built?
I have a Super 10 that I am not using...
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM

But Dillon, do you reel with your right hand?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
But Dillon, do you reel with your right hand?

No, and I am not interested in the trout reel. Are you interested in the 10? Maybe we could work something out...