The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wanted: 10WT Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks lab, I have read your other posts on the BVK breakage and that is a big concern. Great warranty or not, it could sure mess up a trip. I do own and like ST Croix rods, but we're in the $500 range for a true Musky rod and I doubt I can do that this year.
Yeah, it's come up a couple times now. I should pipe down or people will think I have stock in St. Croix... lol. Those BVK rods are just so over-rated.... That's a good point, the warranty usually isn't going to help you on a trip and for sure it won't help you on the water that day.

I know what you mean. My fishing budget is already shot for the year. If this ridiculous winter weather doesn't start winding down soon, I'm going to have to take out a second mortgage.... Instead of fishing, I'm sitting around and looking at fishing equipment. Not good. I'm a sucker for a good marketing line.

PM me if a one-piece rod would work for you.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

No pity expected for me if I have to buy a cheaper rod. I am going to Alaska this summer and got a kid going to college this fall. I can still fly fish. Life is good.

Regarding the BVK, they may be over rated. I just know a few friends of mine on this forum have casted them, own or have owned them and like them a lot. Guys I know that don't fall for hype too much. Anyway, my mind stays open for now. Just know I want a fairly fast rod, that I can afford, and not so heavy it will trash my elbows that are prone to a little tendinitus.

Your BVK opinion is noted Lab, and the breakage issue is important to me, especially until I have a backup rod. This rod will not throw weighted streamers, but it may need to keep a musky out of the brush pile someday. I can see myself choking up on the bat at that moment. I'll post rod carnage PICs lol
Old 02-05-2014, 02:55 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

My 9wt is a TFO Professional II that I use for Kings. I had to turn some fresh ones and it did the job. Not an expensive rod and I was able to cast some pretty big egg-sucking leeches easily.

Just an alternative in case you want to spend a little less money.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Are you looking new or used?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:15 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Are you looking new or used?
This is a classified ad that morphed into a general rod discussion. I'm flexible at the moment. My current favorite rod of the day is a St Croix Legend Ultra, 9 or 10 WT.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM

Bought a used later model St Croix Legend Ultra 9WT 9-0. Musky rods break so a backup 10WT is probably prudent, but it is no longer going to keep me from fishing so I can wait for a great deal to come along.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

There was a 10wt Sage Flight in here a couple days ago. that's my 10wt and its fantastic!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
There was a 10wt Sage Flight in here a couple days ago. that's my 10wt and its fantastic!
I remember an 8WT Sage???
Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM

nctribute is on a distinguished road

Check out Colton rods, I have a 10 wt Tradewinds that has tangled with a 70 lb tarpon. He usually has a sale a couple times a year for 40% off. I also have a Colton Tradewinds XS 8 wt and a Slipstream 4 wt. They are nice rods at a good price. I also have high end Sage and Hardy rods, the Colton's hold their own.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Didn't mean to derail. I have not advertised, but I have a 9ft 10wt 3pc Avid that I bought for salt, but never used it. It's a long story, but there it is.