The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 PM

qacwac will become famous soon enough
Default Want to buy or trade for a 9' 5 wt 4 piece rod

I have a buddy who I've just gotten back into fly fishing after taking a break for about 5 years. He lost his last rods in a divorce (they were in the garage and she got the house). He borrowed from me last time but wants his own setup now.

I'm looking to find him a decent 9' 5 weight 4 piece rod. Mainly just looking for the rod, but would consider an outfit if someone has one. He's looking to spend maybe $150 on the rod, but can go a bit higher if it's a really good deal (or a bit more for an outfit).

I also have a Pentax WG-1 Waterproof Camera that I'm willing to trade if someone is interested:
Used Pentax WG-1 waterproof camera

And a Backpacker Kick Boat by Water Skeeter (haven't put it on the forum for sale yet but this is it exactly).
Backpacker Kick Boat By Water Skeeter - Save 39%

Let me know if you have anything. If not I'm thinking about having him try out the Allen Compass or maybe Heritage. Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 PM

goblueco1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Want to buy or trade for a 9' 5 wt 4 piece rod

I have a spare 9' 5 weight package but it is worth more than what you and your friend are looking to spend.

In terms of the Allen I recently purchased a complete outfit of theirs and have been thoroughly impressed on the quality and feel of their rods and reels and would strongly encourage you to look into one of their set-ups.

Additionally, if you can get on Sierra Trading Posts mail list they toss out 40-70% off coupons on a fairly regular basis where he could easily get into a Redington package for under $100. My friend just purchased a lower end Redington rod and reel from Sierra Trading Post and was able to get both, shipped to his door for under $100.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Maybe I'm just tired, but I don't understand the problem. You can still get a brand-new Redington CT for $99 from several retail outlets, which according to many of my fishing buddies, is a very good rod in a 5 wt. And from an equally staunch group of friend/supporters, you can get a brand-new TFO Professional Series II 5 wt. rod for just under your limit of $150.

If your thought is to find a used higher performance rod at that price point, then okay, that's going to be a bit tougher.

You might be able to find one of these around $150 used:

Grey's Streamflex
Ross Essence
St. Croix Imperial
Winston GVX (not the Select)
Echo Edge
St Croix Avid
Sage Approach

These rods all retail around the $300 mark (or did, my info is probably a little out of date), so it is probable that you could find some of these second-hand at your price point.

Hope that helps,

Peace.

P.S. I might get back to you about that camera.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 06-05-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Jeez, I can't spell today.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

New Orvis Encounter rod, reel, line, backing $159.....Tough deal to beat and the reviews on them are all good.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

This is an 8'6" rod, not a 9' rod.

Redington Tempt 5 wt 8' 6"

or

Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rods : Cabela's

Has the 9' 5 wt.

Heck of a deal in either case.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM

qacwac will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. Originally I did pick him up a Greys GS2 from SierraTradingPost for $78, but was very disappointed with it when I tested it out and am sending it back (Felt like a limp noodle to me). Not having tried any of the others, I was worried the same might happen with any intro level rod I got. What I was/am hoping was to find something a step up from those used around the same price point.

But if nothing turns up in the next day or so I will pick up one of the several recommended on here.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 PM

kytroutbum is on a distinguished road

Sent you a PM. I have a Scott S3 in excellent shape if he's willing to spend a little more than $150.

Shawn