The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Classifieds > Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds

Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds For PRIVATE sales, swaps or wanted ads for fly fishing related goods only. For COMMERCIAL posts first register as a Business member, pay the nominal fee and post in the Business Classifieds. In the unlikely event of a dispute please handle this privately or advise Admin. No Bumping please!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By jgentile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Vntage Fiberglass Rod - Reel & Line Setup;

As I continue to buy and use more Spey rods I find that I have collected some fine trout tackle that sees little to no use. The rod and reel below are well matched and the line included is a 'new' Hardy DT six weight.

The rod was made for LL Bean by the Phillipson Rod Company and by my best guess dates to the early 1970's. It will cast a 5 weight line just the same as a 6 weight but I had a new Hardy line in six weight so I spooled it. The action is as good as any fiberglass rod can get and a little research into the Phillipson name will reveal that they are sought after rods. That's why I have this one. It is 7' 6" and a 2 piece rod. The cork grip has a very nice rearward taper unlike any other rod I have owned, it is a very comfortable grip in excellent condition as is the rest of the rod.

The reel was made by the Martin Reel Company in Mohawk NY. for LL Bean and is the MG design reel with an adjustable click check drag and palming rim. The reel will come with a soft brown leather fleece lined case as shown in the photos.

Between the 2 pieces they are nearly spotless considering the age. The rod has several small smudges on the painted blank and one tiny chip in the paint that can be seen in the photos. The chip is in the paint finish and is no threat to the rods integrity.

Click the image to open in full size.

The speck on the butt section is the chip in the yellow finish.

Rod will come in its original aluminum tube with LL Bean rod sock.

If you like fiberglass and are interested in the vintage end of the market, this is a nice outfit. There is no warranty on a vintage rod but then it has somehow survived for 40 years not needing one.

The price to a buyer in the US. is 250.00 plus actual postage charges.
fyshstykr and fredaevans like this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-11-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vntage Fiberglass Rod - Reel & Line Setup;

That's one sweet rod that I unfortunately cannot afford
Old 12-11-2014, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I'll sell the rod alone for 140.00 plus postage.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

That's in beautiful condition.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Ard you're killing me... Unfortunately I've already bought two rods this month lol.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM

honyuk96 is on a distinguished road

Ditto. That's a beautiful rod Ard. Wish I had the coin as well. This would be a sweet rod for my sons first, although I'd be very tempted to trade my Scott w him. Ard, honestly, I think your going to regret this decision.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honyuk96 View Post
Ard, honestly, I think your going to regret this decision.
Granted it's a nice rod in great condition, but for use here it doesn't make sense. The 2015 season will be my 11th year of fishing here in Alaska. However, deep in my fishing genes I have that small mountain stream mentality. I see these small rods and I think, wow, I should have had one of them, I still can....... Then I buy them only to find out that the window of opportunity to use such a rod is limited.

Two years ago I was fishing a pretty large creek using my old 6' 6" Orvis Full Flex fiberglass. It was a beautiful day in July and I was catching some beautiful rainbows. The rod works wonderfully even when tossing big fat weighted Sculpins and I was into one of those days that memories are made from. Memories indeed; as I was reeling in a fat trout of about fourteen inches suddenly another fish was racing along beside it. The second fish was much larger and appeared to be trying to grab the bunny fur strip that was streaming from the left side of the smaller trout's jaw. As soon as I saw the big one I hit the deck so it wouldn't see me. I brought the hooked fish into the water right in front of me and stayed still for at least 5 minutes after it swam away. The plan was to get the big one.

That rod is in terrific shape, it's like new, made in 1968 - 69 and as if I'm the only person who ever used it. I had my CFO IV reel with a 5 weight on it and after giving things plenty of time to settle down I stood. I made just one cast aimed directly where I knew it had to go. The big Sculpin landed with a splat and began to sink into the deep green water. The stream was crystal clear but the cut out area around this large stump and sweeper was so deep it appeared a deep pleasant green. When that fly got to about two and a half feet I gave it a twitch and began to let the current sweep it from the bank. As it moved across and down I began to strip just a little and all I saw was a big white mouth open up below the fly in the green.............

Just like that it was on and within 5 seconds I realized I was under armed. The rod was bent into a perfect horseshoe and I had my left hand pressed against the spool as tight as the 10 pound tippet would allow. Within another couple seconds the fish rushed upstream into the center of the pool where the water was perhaps 5 foot deep and dove for the bottom. There was a pretty large tree limb down there and I could see it, and yes the trout went right under it and popped out the other side. The line tightened and it went around another limb...........

I was ready to remove my waders and shirt so I could go in and try to somehow get that trout. A long shot I know but desperate men must do desperate things. As a last ditch I gave some slack line hoping against the odds that the fish would somehow swim back the way it had went and become untangled. That trout definitely felt the slack because it went crazy shaking the head and thrashing in a very violent manner until...... pop. Broke the fly off the ten pound leader, I don't think there was any issue with my knot, I've tied a few of them and I always test them before I fish so there was nothing that could have been done differently. nothing except not to fish with such light tackle in an area where you could very well encounter a trout that just might be larger than any you ever caught!

I still had a banner of a day and the weather held out until Boss and I had fished all the way back to the road where I had left the truck. After I had a few days to think about what I saw and what had happened I determined to start using 11' 6" two hand rods on that creek. Could I have landed that trout with the big rod? I believe the odds would have been greatly in my favor. I tried my best with the short soft rod, it wasn't the first time I'd gotten into a big fish on light tackle but that rainbow went so fast and so hard that there was little I could do to control the action.

I''ve been fishing that place and others like it with the Spey rods now and although I've caught some beauty trout I've not had another go with one like that fish 2 years ago. The stream is plenty large enough for the big rods but I can cast well enough with a little glass rod to reach the pockets that I need to reach. The difference is that my little Mid Atlantic mountain stream rod just wasn't up to what happened.

I'll keep hold of the Orvis because no one will want to spend the money for it but what I don't need is 2 or 3 rods that are all about the same. Great rods for fish up to maybe 18 inches but once you cross a certain threshold things get bad with light tackle.

How big was that rainbow? I don't know because I didn't land it but I think it may have been a new personal best, that would put it in the 28 - 29 inch range. The rod I'm offering is a swell fly rod and if taken with the reel & line they are a perfect setup. What you would have to do is to be sure to use that tube that comes with always when the rod is not being fished or I can guarantee that I will end up broken and I'm sure you won't find any extra pieces for sale
ia_trouter likes this.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Outfit is sold.
fredaevans likes this.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Ard,

I just wanted to let you know that the reel also arrived yesterday in good order. I took care of the excess postage so we should be square. Let me know if anything is awry.

As I told you earlier, Santa must be on the Wasilla to Ballwin run as two days from the 49th to the Show Me State is unheard of in these parts of the lower 48.

My very best to you and your family this holiday season. Trust me. I will fish this outfit and not just look at it!

Joe

PS... want to sell that 6'6?
fredaevans likes this.