The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sharkskin magnum, pike/muskie or bass bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I've used the Magnum Sharkskin and liked its function quite well, but needing finger protection gets kinda old.

I need to replace my 9wt pretty soon, and unless I can find a deal on something else that suits me, I'll likely get the MT in either the Magnum or Saltwater taper.

MT has only been out a few months, so you're not likely to find many folks who have used it.

A South Texan buying a Musky line would make no sense at all, as they're formulated for cold water.
did not realize this, thankyou. i guess that rules that one out for me.

some ppl on another forum said they didn't like the SS because its hell on your hands and also you need to clean it much more often than you do normal line because algae and stuff can grow in the tiny "scales" on the line. is this true? does the MT line have this problem as well?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
did not realize this, thankyou. i guess that rules that one out for me.

some ppl on another forum said they didn't like the SS because its hell on your hands and also you need to clean it much more often than you do normal line because algae and stuff can grow in the tiny "scales" on the line. is this true? does the MT line have this problem as well?
I've not noticed anything growing on mine, but given the amount of texture, I suppose its possible, if you're fishing in dirty water. But in those conditions, I'd be more concerned about silt filling in the texture.

Saltwater is another concern. Salt crystals could fill in the texture if you don't clean the thing. I always rinse and then soak my reels in freshwater after fishing the salt, though that's more to prevent corrosion on the reel.

I suppose both possibilities are possible on the MT as well, though to a much lesser degree.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
A South Texan buying a Musky line would make no sense at all, as they're formulated for cold water.
Might be sorta true, but the way it's formulated is so it stays limp in the cold. It is still fine in warm and even hot temps. If you never ever fish in the cold, Cliff has a point, but you can use them in the heat.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Lines formulated to not get too stiff in the cold tend to get too limp and can even feel gummy in the heat. when its hot they're more prone to tangle and don't shoot very well.

This is just based on my experience fishing many days a year within 300 miles of the person asking the question, and the advice of a buddy who works for SA.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I've been using Cortlands "Little Tunny" intermediate line for all my Musky and Pike stuff for years. It's formulated for all water temps, while not a floater is sinks very slow and is great for pulling divers down which is a great trigger for Pike and Musky. The short big head turns big flys over fast, and when the lines wet it shoots like a mofo. good stuff.

Cortland - Precision Little Tunny - Clear Camo "All Water" - Intermediate (125')
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM

cortland precision big fly-bass (2 taper design)
front taper-6'
body-7'
back taper-28'

cortland precision big fly-pike (2 taper design)
front taper-3'
body-7'
back taper-31'

scientific angler sharkskin or mastery textured magnum (2 taper design)
front taper-5'
belly 1-15'
belly 2-14'
rear taper-7'

scientific angler mastery bass bug
front taper-5.5'
belly-26.5'
rear taper-10'

scientific angler master pike/muskie
front taper-4.5
belly-27
rear taper-3.5

gathered some info on a few lines. the more i look at different fly lines for bass or pike/muskie, the more i read things like "short front taper allows you to turn over big flies with ease". is there a point where the front taper on a line designed to turn over big bugs could be too short? does this short front taper make a line less accurate or anything? does it inhibit casting distance at all?

cortlands bass line has a double taper design kinda like SA's SS and MT lines. i dont know anything about cortland lines though, never casted any of them. what do yall think about them?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
cortland precision big fly-bass (2 taper design)
front taper-6'
body-7'
back taper-28'

cortland precision big fly-pike (2 taper design)
front taper-3'
body-7'
back taper-31'

scientific angler sharkskin or mastery textured magnum (2 taper design)
front taper-5'
belly 1-15'
belly 2-14'
rear taper-7'

scientific angler mastery bass bug
front taper-5.5'
belly-26.5'
rear taper-10'

scientific angler master pike/muskie
front taper-4.5
belly-27
rear taper-3.5

gathered some info on a few lines. the more i look at different fly lines for bass or pike/muskie, the more i read things like "short front taper allows you to turn over big flies with ease". is there a point where the front taper on a line designed to turn over big bugs could be too short? does this short front taper make a line less accurate or anything? does it inhibit casting distance at all?

cortlands bass line has a double taper design kinda like SA's SS and MT lines. i dont know anything about cortland lines though, never casted any of them. what do yall think about them?
The biggest thing a short front taper will mess you up on is roll casts and mending, for those applications the longer the belly the better. I doubt you'll be doing with a Pike line. The other issue with a short front taper is they tend to overload medium and slower rods in close. This shouldn't be an issue with a faster rod, something I would certainly recommend for picking up big Pike/Musky flies. But a short front taper puts the weight of the line out front making for easier shooting and double hauling.

Unless you have to have a floater, I would think long and hard about that Cortland intermediate. I have yet to put that line in the hands of a guide that didn't love it. I've always liked intermediates better with bass bugs and divers because it's easier to get the floating fly to dive when you pop it. I use that and the QD 400 grain when I need to get down over deeper weed beds on Lake St. Clair

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Back before the last few years of cooling, we used to have days that got well over 90. We have not broke 80 in about 3 years now, but it used to get pretty warm in the summer. I used The Scientific Anglers Mastery series Pike/Musky line, and the Cortland 444SL Pike/Musky. Neither of them have gone to limp to cast, and neither ever felt gummy. Maybe some other brands do that, but not these two and that's the only ones I have. Since the original question was about the SA line, I would not not worry about some gummy limpness occuring.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-11-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 PM

almost all the bass fishing i do is in thick cover and vegetation. i use a lot of surface flies. plus ive never used any kind of sinking line and im scared to spend $80 without ever using that type of line first. im using a loomis crosscurrent so i think i could go up a line weight. has anyone used cortlands bass line? seems like that or SA's bass bug in a 9 wt would suit me well
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

One note on intermediate lines: They present a whole different issue if you're wading since they sink. If you're fishing off the deck of a boat, its not an issue, but if you're wading, you'll have to use a stripping basket to keep from stepping on it.

Might not be an issue when bass fishing on lakes, but it could result in you having to buy another line when you come to fish the coast.