The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default sharkskin magnum, pike/muskie or bass bug?

im looking for a line to throw big bugs with ease. ill be fishing for bass, gar catfish etc all in freshwater. ive read the sharkskin magnum shoots like a mother and picks up and casts with ease. only drawback is the price tag. i dont have any experience with the pike and bass lines though. i would think the pike line would push big bugs through the wind and turn them over even better than the bass line though. any suggestions? thanks

Sharkskin Magnum - Sharkskin Series - Lines

Mastery Series Pike/Muskie - Mastery Series - Lines

Mastery Series Bass Bug - Mastery Series - Lines
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sharkskin magnum, pike/muskie or bass bug?

All three fly lines would be fine, but I would rather fish a Rio Coldwater Outbound Short. Even though it is labeled "Coldwater," it can be fished on hot summer days here in California without any casting issues. On the California Delta, it is the line of choice for large flies like Charlie's Pole Dancers or Airheads.

This line helps rods throw large flies because it is heavy. The WF8F that I use on my ultra fast eight weight weighs 315 grains instead of the 210 grain AFTMA standard. A WF9F weighs 375 grains.

Go ahead and research the Outbound Short line to your heart's delight. You may find that it could be the right fit.

MP
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The only one of the lines you mentioned, that I've ever used is the Mastery Series Pike/Musky. Of the Pike lines I've tried It's my favorite. I use it with seriously big flies, and it puts them out plenty far. I like it enough that I have it on two rods. This is the fly I use most with it. I wish I could give you more information, but as I say, I've never used the other two lines. Maybe someone here who has, can chime in and let you know what they think of them
Dan
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM

ya id say thats a big fly... what rod are you using when your throwing that fly? i have an 8 wt loomis crosscurrent. you think that line would work good with that rod throwing flies about half that size? can you get good distance and still pretty good accuracy with that line?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of rods I toss flies that big, I have a 10 wt. Winston I use most, and an 8 wt, 9'6" I built. Actually I built both but.... I can get a lot of distance (and accurate) on both of them. I have a different brand on a 9 wt. G. Loomis I do also, but I have a different fly line on it, and I don't like it as much.

The blank I used on the 8wt. is an old American Tackle. They no longer sell them. It was a really high quality blank. In fact the 5 wt. I built myself on one casts as nice or nicer than any rod I own. They felt they just didn't have the name recognition to sell blanks in that price range, and stopped making them. It's a shame to, because they were awsome.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
im looking for a line to throw big bugs with ease. ill be fishing for bass, gar catfish etc all in freshwater. ive read the sharkskin magnum shoots like a mother and picks up and casts with ease. only drawback is the price tag. i dont have any experience with the pike and bass lines though. i would think the pike line would push big bugs through the wind and turn them over even better than the bass line though. any suggestions? thanks

Sharkskin Magnum - Sharkskin Series - Lines

Mastery Series Pike/Muskie - Mastery Series - Lines

Mastery Series Bass Bug - Mastery Series - Lines
If you like the taper and shooting of the SS Mag, but don't like the price, I think this is the obvious choice at $80-

Scientific Anglers™ Mastery Textured Magnum Taper Line – WF-F, Lines & Backing, Fly Lines & Backing, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabelas.com

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

i have never heard of that line before. whats the difference between SA's mastery textured lines and their sharkskin lines?

and its not really that specific magnum taper that im after, i had just read very good things about its ability to cast big flies with ease so it caught my eye.

if you go to infoaboutbassin.blogspot.com, scroll about 3/4 the way down and look through his "fly line jargon" post, you will see where im reading some of this good stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
i have never heard of that line before. whats the difference between SA's mastery textured lines and their sharkskin lines?
The texture on the SS is raised, on the MT its dimpled. Compared to the SS, the MT doesn't shoot quite as well, but its quieter and easier on hands.

A review- Scientific Angler's Mastery Textured fly lines reviewed | Singlebarbed

Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM

have you used it before? have you used SA's pike/muski line before? if yes to both, which did you like better and why?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I've used the Magnum Sharkskin and liked its function quite well, but needing finger protection gets kinda old.

I need to replace my 9wt pretty soon, and unless I can find a deal on something else that suits me, I'll likely get the MT in either the Magnum or Saltwater taper.

MT has only been out a few months, so you're not likely to find many folks who have used it.

A South Texan buying a Musky line would make no sense at all, as they're formulated for cold water.