The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   how cold is too cold? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/101597-how-cold-too-cold.html)

ssjchar 02-07-2011 10:33 PM

how cold is too cold?

So this weekend seems like its going to be pretty darn warm (around 33F) but thats still pretty close to freezing. I was wondering if fly lines can be used in around those temperatures? i'm afraid that they might freeze and crack in those temps buuut if you guys haven't had any trouble with it then i should be ok.

Davo 02-07-2011 10:43 PM

Re: how cold is too cold?

The main trouble with the cold is the guides clogging up with ice. I guess the Ice could damage the line but as far as temp goes I'm not sure.

ausablebrown 02-07-2011 10:46 PM

I've fished upper teens a few times and my line has always stayed intact. 20's and 30's is great fly line weather!!!! I don't know what the failure temp is on your average fly line, hopefully someone here can tell us, but I know 30 is fine.

Go Get Wet!!!

mcnerney 02-07-2011 10:56 PM

You won't have an issue with the fly line in the 30's, like Davo said the main issue is the guides freezing and the constant attention it requires. I've fished at -10 degrees before without any trouble with the line. I know it was a dumb idea but I had a really bad itch to get out on the water. My line held up fine, but I had a bad case of the guides freezing and the worse part was walking back to the truck in the snow. I must have had 3 inches of ice built up on the bottom of my boots, I wish I had taken a picture of that.

Larry

ausablebrown 02-07-2011 11:21 PM

Anyone have any luck using any kind of de-icing agents on guides? Is there anything safe to put on your guides, I guess that is the bigger question?

ghostdncr 02-08-2011 03:42 AM

There are several commercial products designed specifically for keeping your guides as close to ice-free as possible, but I can't think of the names of any of them. I've heard a number of recommendations for PAM non-stick spray and I use Carmex lip balm. If I'm out fishing when icing is a problem, there's sure to be a tube of Carmex in my pocket.

Keep an eye on your rod tip. That's where I have the most problem with ice. When your rod's performance starts changing dramatically, check the last foot or so of it for icing. Holding it underwater for a few moments will melt the ice and you'll be right back in business.

ausablebrown 02-08-2011 08:55 AM

That is typically what I do; though it gets you right back in business, the cold puts you right back out of business almost as quickly. It seems like I spend 80% of my time with my rod tip in the water.

ghostdncr 02-08-2011 09:27 AM

Sorry for my omission, but apply PAM/Carmex to the affected rod sections, too. It can get tricky when it comes time to separate your rod for the trip home, though.

driftaway 02-08-2011 10:00 AM

Loon outdoors has a product called Ice Off paste. it works pretty good. No product will last all day and you might have to reapply it a few times. You fly line wont be affected. If your line is in the water it will be warmer than the ouside air. Since I doubt you will be dry fly fishing there will be no need to make repeated false casts.

HuronRiverDan 02-08-2011 12:03 PM

I don't know what temps will do damage to a flyline; don't think I want to know...:D For icing; there's Stanley's Ice-Off, chapstick, or good old fashioned Petroleum Jelly. Fishing a short line nymphing technique helps too.

Dan