The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM

jefwel is on a distinguished road
Default Advice Needed on Fly Lines for 5wt Outfit

Hey guys. I will buying a Sage Flight in a 5wt, 9ft., 4-pc model in the coming days. I've always used Cortland fly lines (444, lazerline), but I've heard lots about other lines. I'll be nymphing in tailwaters primarily.

Any suggestions on a top quality fly line? I've heard some good things about Rio Grand, and SA GLX. I know there will be lots of opinions on this, so let's hear 'em.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Advice Needed on Fly Lines for 5wt Outfit

One more thing--I've been fishing for years, and I have several high end rods from Winston, Sage, Scott and St. Croix. It's just that I've never "branched out" and tried anything other than Cortland 444 or Lazerline. Any advice?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That rod is fairly fast action, and might perform best with a heavier line like SA's GPX or Rio's Grand.

I would likely pair it with SA's Expert Distance- long belly for roll casting and mending, not heavy, and good at kicking over larger flies.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefwel View Post
Hey guys. I will buying a Sage Flight in a 5wt, 9ft., 4-pc model in the coming days. I've always used Cortland fly lines (444, lazerline), but I've heard lots about other lines. I'll be nymphing in tailwaters primarily.

Any suggestions on a top quality fly line? I've heard some good things about Rio Grand, and SA GLX. I know there will be lots of opinions on this, so let's hear 'em.
Rio Grand and SA Master GPX lines are great all around lines, but for a dedicated nymphing rig, I would go for a Rio Nymph line. Like the Grand and GPX the nymph line is slightly overweighted. It's taper design is made to help turn over the excess baggage (weighted flies, split shot/putty, and indicators).

MP

Edit: The coating on the high end Rio lines are slicker and durable and float higher than the Cortland Lazer lines.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Rio Grand and SA Master GPX lines are great all around lines, but for a dedicated nymphing rig, I would go for a Rio Nymph line. Like the Grand and GPX the nymph line is slightly overweighted. It's taper design is made to help turn over the excess baggage (weighted flies, split shot/putty, and indicators).

MP

Edit: The coating on the high end Rio lines are slicker and durable and float higher than the Cortland Lazer lines.
Not sure about the Rio Nymph line, but I had a SA Nymph line a while back and that long fat belly made it take up quite alot of space on the spool. If the Rio is the same way, You'll need to leave a DT amount of space on the spool before adding the line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As Cliff mentioned, more space is required for a long bellied line like the Rio Nymph taper. If you have a smaller 5 weight reel with limited capacity, you could always cut off 10 to 15 feet of backing. If you have a modern 5 weight large arbor reel (outer diameter 3.25" to 3.5") you will have plenty of capacity for the line.

MP
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM

That's good info, becasue I will be putting an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor--the older version--on it, and it does not hold a tremendous amount of line/backing well.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 PM

Another way to squeeze room on your reel is to use 30 pound spectra braided line instead of 20 pound dacron backing. 30 pound spectra braid is thinner than 12 pound dacron backing.

MP