The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Dacron Q

I have a reel that I'm thinking about switching lines on, going from a 3 to a 7 (lets say that there is a lot of room on the reel right now.) I don't have a lot of backing on the reel right now, but if I added the 7 I would add extra backing.

How bad of an idea would it be to just tie the present backing to the extra backing? I doubt that I will likely get into the backing, but I don't what to find myself in a situation where I get into a fish he runs and all of a sudden I'm sans fish, line, and 50 yards of backing.....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dacron Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
How bad of an idea would it be to just tie the present backing to the extra backing? I doubt that I will likely get into the backing, but I don't what to find myself in a situation where I get into a fish he runs and all of a sudden I'm sans fish, line, and 50 yards of backing.....
If you feel that you will not get to the backing to backing connection, you should not have any issues.

MP
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks MP. Maybe to be on the safe side, I'll try to use a blood knot(never tied one before.) I think that I've heard that they're all but 100% strength.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I've done it frequently Ant. Using a surgeon knot. Never had it part yet
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
I've done it frequently Ant. Using a surgeon knot. Never had it part yet
I was wondering where you've been hiding.....

I'm a big fan of the surgeon knot. It's easier than tying your shoes.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use two types of knots when joining backing.

Blood Knot - Joining like diameters of backing. Ex. 20 lb test Dacron with 20 lb test Dacron

Double Nail Knot - Joining two different diameters of backing. Ex. 30 lb test Dacron with 55 pound test super braid.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I'm not hiding Ant. Since the weather is warming some & WV has stocked its creeks with trout.......guess where I am on my days off......
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
I'm not hiding Ant. Since the weather is warming some & WV has stocked its creeks with trout.......guess where I am on my days off......
The Golf Course?

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Double Nail Knot - Joining two different diameters of backing. Ex. 30 lb test Dacron with 55 pound test super braid.
Is that just two Nail Knots tied in succession?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ant,

I have used the Uni to UNi knot with success. The Double or Tripple Surgeon knot will make a bigger knot to wrap over. An in-line knot like the Blood, Nail or Uni lays on the reel better. If you have not tied the Blood knot before you will want to practice a bit before you use it. The Blood is a great knot but it needs to be tied/tighten correctly.

Frank
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks Frank. I just checked out a video on how to tie the Uni knot, seems pretty fool-proof(which is essential to my knot tying abilities )

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I tried the Uni to Uni and it worked like a charm. Only had to try twice too...