The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Cortland 555 Rocket Fusee

When I got back into fly-fishing several years ago after a long absence, I bought on sale a "Cortland 555 WF7F Rocket Fusee" fly line, which I've never used. However, a friend has asked me to join him for some Texas Gulf Coast fishing, and while I've never fished the salt, I'm thinking that this line might be a candidate for use on my Sage Z-Axis 7110-4/5 "switch" rod (the heaviest fly-weight rod I own). However, I don't know anything about this line, and would appreciate any advice on what its primary use is for and whether it would be appropriate for hot windy saltwater conditions. I'm hoping that its name indicates some shooting capability.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cortland 555 Rocket Fusee

Spey and switch rods do not use the same AFFTA standards as single handed rods. More mass (grain weight) is required to flex these types of rods, so your Cortland line will not load up your rod properly. You have a 7 weight switch rod which is designed to throw 375ish grain Spey or switch lines. If you want to use your rod in a single handed manner, you are better off using a Rio Tropical Outbound Short in a WF8F (315 grain) configuration or another line that weighs around 315 grains.

MP

PS The Rio Tropical Outbound Short lines are uplined by roughly 2 line weights. A labeled 8 weight line has the same grain weight as a 10 weight line.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cortland 555 Rocket Fusee

MP,

Thanks for the response. After reading it, your answer seemed so logical I wonder why I hadn't thought along those lines. I'm looking now for the Rio Tropical Outbound Short, especially since until I get more used to this new (for me) rod I expect to be using it mainly one-handed.

Thanks again,
Neil