The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM

rustyhook is on a distinguished road
Default line for Orvis TLS 8'6" 10 flex 5wt

Orvis sent me this rod as a replacement for a 9.5 flex rod with a broken tip. I can't seem to get a handle on the thing. I have 2 5wt lines, a DT and a WF. The DT seems to cast a little easier. The WF seems a little sluggish on the pick-up. I cant figure out whether I need to try something like a 7wt or what. The rod has me baffled. I was hoping that I could use it for throwing some lighter bass bugs. Anyone have experience with one of these rods?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: line for Orvis TLS 8'6" 10 flex 5wt

Sorry, no experience for that rod. The 10.0 flex means it is a fast action rod. Try uplining to a 6 weight line to see if that flexes the rod more towards the middle. I'm thinking that the rod might be a tad too quick in action for you.

If you are thinking of throwing bass bugs, try Rio's Outbound Short in a 5 weight line. This line is already upline by almost 2 line weights. It should bend your rod.

MP
Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I would go with Rio Grand or Sharkskin Trout. Something with a heavy front taper as that thing should be ......STIFF!!!!!!!!! Even maybe over line it.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

thanks guys.......I'm gonna try to find someone with some lines I can try and see what happens. Maybe I need to talk to Orvis and see if they have another old rod laying around that I can try.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Second on the Rio Grande. It's a half weight heavier, and it might load up the rod better. Like Joni said, try Sharkskin too if you can.
Mosca has a good idea too with the bass line too.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm fairly sure the Sharkskin Trout is right on weight and its the GPX version that's a half weight heavy.

Looks like they also make the Magnum taper in the Sharkskin, which could be ideal for that what you're after- Fly Depot - Scientific Anglers Mastery Sharkskin Magnum Fly Line

If you want a cheaper option, there's always the 5wt bass bug line known as the SA Mastery Headstart.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You are right Cliff, my mind wandered. I have both GPX and Trout and the GPX is half size heavier.
One other line, WINDCUTTER II. It is the opposite in that the front is lighter, but I use a 7 weight on my T3 tip flex 9.0 6 weight an it is nice.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 AM

so I guess I have to find some heavier lines to try....and then decide if I need to go 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, or 2 lines heavier and then try to decide which one of these lines would work. Or I could buy a few hundred dollars worth of lines! Who said this was an inexpensive sport? thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Or, you could call Orvis service, tell them what happened and the rod that was replace it way too fast for your liking. I'm willing to bet they'd have you send that one back and send you another one more your liking. Tell them you want a 9.0 or 9.5.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks mojo.......that might be the best plan.