The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 06:31 PM

burtfishmonger will become famous soon enough
Default heating shrink on cortland leader loops

I have a few older reels with line that isnon looped ends and have been using the cortland slip on leader loops and am not having good luck heating and shrinking the shrink cover, i have only used a lighter and that at best is sketchy. i either get lucky and it holds or i burn the loop or line and it doesnt shrink enough.

anyone?

thanks!
Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: heating shrink on cortland leader loops

I have the same problems, but make sure you keep the flame a little farther away let it heat slow. Or just like I did on my sink tips tie a nail knot around the nylon loop with 8lb leader and glue the knot.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Try using the heat off of an incandescent light bulb.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even bother with the shrink tubing. Secure the end with a nail knot made of 8 to 15 pound test monofilament line. Trim off any excess braided loop material. Then coat it with Pliobond cement.

Some people will UV activated cement like Loon UV Knot Sense or Rio UV Knot Sealer. Both work, but they don't flex like Pliobond.

MP
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

i use a lighter, but i just take my time, keep my distance. works well if you can loop the loop over something to keep your fingers from burning.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default I have used....

A light bulb when I had to use one of those, takes a while, but it held well for me.

Dan
Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I drop a little knot sense on the main line on it as I pull it over, and I use a blow dryer on high. It does a great job of shrinking the tube evenly across the line.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to use a lit cigar. Still you must have a deft hand or a burn will result. Back in the late eighties / early nineties I had a salmon strip one of them ( Cortland loop) off my line. I went to the nail knot that day and have never looked back. On my light dry fly lines I simply attach a permanent butt of either .021 or .019 and attach the rest of the leader to it. For heavier lines I use a butt of Amnesia in chartreuse and tie a perfection loop in it for attaching the leader. The Amnesia acts as a sight indicator and a depth gauge when drifting and swinging wet flies to fish.

Hope that all resonates to some extent,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-01-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Mos is right - toss those heat shrink tubes in the trash. Too much risk of damaging the line inside in my opinion. I take out my tying bobbin, put the end of the thread under my thumb while holding the junction between the fly line and the loop connector, grab the other side with my other hand, and wobble the line to get the bobbin to rotate around the line, wrapping the junction in thread.

If you cut about a 6 inch piece of thread first, and form it into a loop, you can stick in in there, wrap it 15 or so times, cut the thread at the bobbin, then pull the tag end under those wraps to secure it.

I do that at the join, at the end of the fly line, and maybe once in the middle. Coat with rubber cement or Sally Hansen's.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Ditch the braided loops except as backup. I typically use 20lb for 5-6wt. I basically take some flouro leader material, matching flouro line with about the same stiffness as my fly line. Don't go too heavy.

Oddly Enough, I use the spare shrink tube from a pack of Cortland Braided Loops in lieu of a nail when tying my nail knots for a looped butt section. I works pretty slick. This lets me wrap the twists tighter because the tube actually will pinch down. Then back them off just enough to sneak the tag end down the tube. By doing this, I don't have nearly as much tightening to cinch the knot.