The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Line for ZG Helios 10' 9.5 Tip Flex 4-weight rod

I'm appreciate any suggested fly lines for this rod.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line for ZG Helios 10' 9.5 Tip Flex 4-weight rod

All around lines
Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX
Scientific Anglers Sharkskin GPX
Rio Grand
Orvis WF Powertaper Wonderline

Specialty lines
Rio Nymph
SA Mastery Nymph

MP
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

I think MP has pretty well covered it. I use a Mastery GPX on a 9'6" fast action Sage and it works fine. If I was buying a new one I would think long and hard about the Sharkskin GPX. I know Joni and Mojo like it a lot.

Frank
Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

As it so happens, I bought on sale the Orvis Wonderline Generation 3 Power Taper WF and the Orvis Wonderline Generation 3 Trout Easy Mend at the time I bought two Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock II reels (I always ensure I have two suitable reels for rods I purchase, one for back-up - also got two free extra spools with the purchase). Both fly lines were wound free with backing since bought at the time with the BBS reels I also bought at the same time.

I'm still looking for at least one extra line for the two extra spools I have, and have been intrigued with the Sharkskin for some time, but have been put off by stories of excessive guide wear due to its rough texture. Do any of you have any thoughts/experience about that?

Also, I'm not familiar with the "Nymph" lines suggested. What are their characteristics as compared with, say, typical floating WF lines?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using a WF6F Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper since its release in Fall 2007. I have over 50 fishing days experience with it. Here are a few things that I learned about it.

1. The Sharkskin texture needs to be cleaned more than other premium lines.
2. When clean, it shoots beautifully and floats higher than other premium lines.
3. When traveling through the guides, the Sharkskin has its own distinct noise. You either can live with it or you can't.
4. Anyone who thinks that there will be excessive wear on the guides is full of ****. Scientific Anglers has done wear tests to disprove this.
5. A dry Sharkskin texture can create a line burn. Wear stripping guards.

"Nymph" lines have very short and heavy front tapers to aid in turning over leaders with heavy nymphs, splitshot, and indicators. These are not presentation lines.

MP
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

SA's Nymph line has an extremely long belly that works well for mending and roll casts. I think Rio's is similar but I'm less sure. Somebody makes a "Pocket Water" line that matches the description above.

I would put SA's XXD (formerly known as Distance) line on it. Many of y'all know that's my favorite all-purpose line, but it really is a perfect fit for this rod. A 10' rod is likely to be used for bigger water, long/big mends, lots of high stick nymphing, and some spey and roll casting. The long front taper, long belly, and long rear taper of that line are perfectly suited to that. Its not heavy for its weight, and one doesn't need it to be, given that the extra foot of rod will put more bend into it during casting.

I think they make a Sharkskin version of it if yer after the bling and zing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.