The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monic Clear Floating Fly Lines?

Anyone have experience with the freshwater version of Monic's clear floating fly line? I owned the old Cortland 555 clear floater and it was a disaster. Just wondering if anyone owns, has owned or knows the real skinny on these lines. My spring creek is calling and clear would be just the ticket.

Kelly.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Monic Clear Floating Fly Lines?

Hi Kelly,

I have no information on the Monic but I do have a Cortland P+ Crystal. This is the clear Tropic line. I don't like it at all and wouldn't recommend it. I thought that with the Co-Polymer construction that it would be a better line. Lots of coils and I can't stretch them out.

Frank
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, sounds just like the old 555 clear floater - looks like they just repackaged it and renamed it...

Kelly.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Kelly,

I have no information on the Monic but I do have a Cortland P+ Crystal. This is the clear Tropic line. I don't like it at all and wouldn't recommend it. I thought that with the Co-Polymer construction that it would be a better line. Lots of coils and I can't stretch them out.

Frank
Frank, That line is a tropical line, if your having this problem in 70 degree plus conditions (remember water and air temp are important) then you have a defective line. Cortland will replace it, it is not the old 555, not even close. I have many customers who love the line including a guide in the Grand Caymans and I've never heard that complaint about the line when it's used in the conditions it was made for. In fact I've had them tell me that on 100 degree plus humid days it was a far better line then many of the competitors lines which became sticky and limp.

I've demo'd it on real hot humid days in TN and had customers who couldn't believe how well it cast. But living in MI I never use it in my home waters, even though we have some hot days, it's rare for us to have that heat with warm water. The only tropic line I use in MI is our Redfish line, (formulated for winter FL fishing) which I love for Smallmouth. But even then on below 60 degree days with cooler early season water temps, I go to a Western Drifter.

Last edited by burk48237; 03-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.