The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monic clear all weather wf4?

Hi all.Has anyone tested this line?serious opinions welcomed.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Monic clear all weather wf4?

Hi all? nobody uses this line?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Monic clear all weather wf4?

Hi jbbfly,

Well it seems like no one has any information. I have not used it and I don't think it is as popular as it once was. If I remember right it was a little cantankerous to use.

I recently bought the new Cortland Crystal PE fly line. It is crystal clear and looks like the finish is really tough. I fasten the backing on with a nail knot and it didn't dig in like a PVC coating. I have a problem with it so I have not cast it yet. The finish has flaws in the coating. Little tits sticking out along the line. They are small enough that you can't see them with the naked eye but I can feel them. I checked the line with magnification and I could see these little faults. I don't know if my line is defective or all of them are that way. It looks like the line was scrapped when going thru an extruded. Like it needed lubrication. If I run the line through my hand a few times the little tits come off but I can still see the scraps with magnification. I will get back to you when I get everything scoped out.

There are some problems with any completely clear fly line the whole length. They can be hard to see in the water. This bothers some people. Some fishers like the lines with just the clear tips. They feel that they have a better idea what the line is doing. With salt water you are making straight line cast and all you have to worry about is where the fly is.

I think these types of lines, as a class, should be considered a specialty fly line and each person has to determine what works for them. Even if you buy something that doesn't work it is a learning experience.

Frank
Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi again jbbfly,

Whoops, I just reread your title and since it is a 4wt you must be thinking fresh water. I just assume it was for saltwater. My bad.

Unless you are fishing really difficult water or fish I think a full length clear line would be hard to fish in currant. I have not done it but that is an educated guess. I will let you know if I try out my Crystal PE line. It is for fresh water fishing in spring feed waters and line shy fish. Maybe you are fishing a special circumstance too.l
Frank
Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Frank ...so I'll wait for Whiton's official test...maybe I'll get other replies too.