The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default SA Mastery Textured GPX

I am planning to replace a WF4F Rio Grand that has performed unsatifactorily on a fast 9' 4wt rod, and I am considering the new SA Mastery Textured GPX.

I have used the Mastery GPX (1/2 heavy) lines before and found them to be pretty decent on a fast rod. I briefly tested the Sharkskin, and did not care for a) the cost, b) the sound through the guides, or 3) the way it shredded my skin when fast stripping a fish that was running straight toward you.

However, the new textured GPX is supposed to use "golf-ball-like" round dimples recessed into the line, which are easier on the fingers, add no additional noise and are at least a "little" cheaper.

Has anyone had any experience fishing with this new line? Thanks,
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: SA Mastery Textured GPX

I picked up one yesterday for my incoming 9ft 4wt Winston. The rod is a Vapor that I picked up for next to nothing as a back up rod and it's reported to be pretty fast. The rod arrives today so I'll report back on the line's noise and shooting. However, from just lining the reel I can say that it seems nearly as rough as a Sharkskin but in pebbly way versus abrasive way. I expect this line to be a bit noisy and I'm very interested in how clean it will stay.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Brewmaster,

What problems did you have with the Rio Grand? It is also a 1/2 over weight like the GPX. According to what problems you had with the Grand, you might not want the GPX wt.

Frank
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Brew-

It's pretty noisy, not too bad, but it makes some noise. I will say this- it shoots like a champ. I'm heading out in the morning for the Norfork River in Arkansas and I'll report back with my on stream impressions.

-from down the I44 autobahn in Springfield
russell
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Brewmaster,

What problems did you have with the Rio Grand? It is also a 1/2 over weight like the GPX. According to what problems you had with the Grand, you might not want the GPX wt.

Frank
Hi Frank,

The only problem I had with the Rio Grand was with the plastic portion of the fly line cracking and then actually breaking (first time I have ever had a fly line actually break while fighting a fish). I had several problems with the Rio Gold lines over the last couple of years with cracking & hinging, and when I talked to Rio (more than once) they admitted that they had been having some issues with their new (at that time) XS coating - it was causing the outer coating of the fly line to be too soft, thus allowing the fly line to cut or crack due to abrasion with rocks or gravel or even if you hit your line with your leader/tippet.

I had used the Rio Grand before with no problems, but when they added the XS coating, I had the same issue with the Rio Grand that I had with the Rio Gold. I want to switch because when it broke off I lost several feet of the WF portion of the Rio Grand line, significantly impacting the casting characteristics with the fast 4wt rod. I am sure they will get the problem resolved, however in the meanwhile I plan on switching the line on my primary 4wt rod to a SA GPX line - which I have also previously used on a 6wt and an 8wt with great results.

I just thought I would try out the newest Textured GPX line, and was wanting to see what anyone else had experienced before I dumped the $$ into a new line. If I skip the textured GPX, I will still get the original GPX.

Thanks,
Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Brewmaster,

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't sure you knew that the Grand was also a 1/2 over weight line. I was concerned the problem was the Grand slowed the rod more than you expected.

Frank
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

I too had Rio Grand line coating break on me.
Went with Allen line and for the price I am pleasantly surprised how well it works.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Ok, a quick review-

I got back yesterday afternoon from the Norkork River in northern Arkansas where I fished the textured GPX line on a Winston rod. The line is noisy through the guides, there is no denying this. But I found it to be kind of a pleasant and not annoying noise. I stripped plenty of woolys and did not suffer and line rub issues and as for line shooting- this stuff is like a rocket. The line is kind of a contradiction, it shoots and sounds like an old school SA bonefish line from the late 80s, early 90s but in delivery paired with my 4 weight it was very supple.

Bottom line- On trips to this river I always float the river in a kayak which allows me to carry both a 3 or 4 weight for drys and small nymphs and have my 10ft 5 weight loaded with a large bead head wooly for swinging in the deep fast runs. This day the 4wt was loaded with the new SA GPX and the 5wt was loaded with a brand new Airflo Sixth Sense. When I would go from my 4wt to the Airfo loaded 5 I was wishing the 5 had the SA Textured GPX line and not the Airflo...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Brewmaster,

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't sure you knew that the Grand was also a 1/2 over weight line. I was concerned the problem was the Grand slowed the rod more than you expected.

Frank
Frank, Thanks for the query - I prefer the 1/2 heavy line on a fast rod as it allows better rod loading when the casting distance is shorter, vs. overlining and impacting the rod performance characteristics that strongly across the entire casting distance.

I spoke to a very knowledgeable fly shop owner, and his recommendation was that the Rio Gold (and apparently the Grand) line coatings are currently just a bit too soft for use on a fast rod, and he recommends other lines for fast rods. However, he still recommends the Rio Gold as one of the best overall lines on any medium or slower rods, and depending on the rod sometimes even a medium-fast rod. It is just a matter of matching the line to the rod.

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Ok, a quick review-

I got back yesterday afternoon from the Norkork River in northern Arkansas where I fished the textured GPX line on a Winston rod. The line is noisy through the guides, there is no denying this. But I found it to be kind of a pleasant and not annoying noise. I stripped plenty of woolys and did not suffer any line rub issues and as for line shooting- this stuff is like a rocket. The line is kind of a contradiction, it shoots and sounds like an old school SA bonefish line from the late 80s, early 90s but in delivery paired with my 4 weight it was very supple.

Bottom line- On trips to this river I always float the river in a kayak which allows me to carry both a 3 or 4 weight for drys and small nymphs and have my 10ft 5 weight loaded with a large bead head wooly for swinging in the deep fast runs. This day the 4wt was loaded with the new SA GPX and the 5wt was loaded with a brand new Airflo Sixth Sense. When I would go from my 4wt to the Airfo loaded 5 I was wishing the 5 had the SA Textured GPX line and not the Airflo...
Russell - Thanks for the fast review. A couple of questions - the textured GPX line has golfball-like dimples inset down into the line, vs. the sharkskin line which has raised ridges - correct? can you compare the noise to the sharkskin? is it just as loud as sharkskin or possibly somewhere between the sharkskin and a smooth line? Thanks for your input,
Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

1 advantage of hearing aids when fishing these lines that make noise, i can turn them off. i personally like SA sharkskinand the new texture. i allso have had problems with rio gold tips sinking right out of the box have returned 2 .they tend to crack at the loop and let water in .so i cut loops off ,nail knot leader to line tips still sink. i just don't understand when lines were $30. no issues, but when new tech came along and line were over $60 more issues.