The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Mono Loop Instead of Braided Loop

Hi-

I've been considering switching back to braided loop connectors on my fly line after spending about a year with the Sci. Angler's L2L Connectors. My concern is that the braided loop will, over time, pull off...also, I remember that they were a pain to attach securely to the end of the line.

This got me wondering if I could somehow attach a mono loop to the end of the fly line...? Anyone out there do this and do you find it impedes casting at all? Should I use Pliobond (or similar) on a floating line?

Thanks for your help!

-S
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mono Loop Instead of Braided Loop

I cut the braided loop as short as possible then after inserting the line tip and pulling the little tube,I put a little drop af superglue at the bottom of the tube(I mean near the line tip) for if you put it on the other side the line will bend and be damaged or may break after a while.No problem since I use this method.Hope it can help.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trust the braids, no particular reason other than the fact that I know I can trust my own knots and the braids are less certain.

I use the Goop products rather than Plyobond....
The Goops (all are pretty much the same) are much easier to deal with (lick your fingers and roll it on) and perform just as well or better than that sealant that my grandfather used back in his day.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also trust my knots much more than a braided loop. I've heard great things about the method JBB described (known here as the Whitlock/Zap-A-Gap connection), but have never tried it myself.

On any fly lines that come with a factory loop built in, I use it. On others, I use fairly heavy mono attached to the tip of my fly line via a nail knot, with a perfection loop at the other end attached a matching perfection loop in the butt end of the leader. I've caught thousands of fish this way and plan on at least a few more thousand.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I concur with Cliff although I use a section of chartreuse Amnesia about 18" long with a perfection loop on the end. The Amnesia serves as a butt and as a sight indicator when fishing wets.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I concur with Cliff although I use a section of chartreuse Amnesia about 18" long with a perfection loop on the end. The Amnesia serves as a butt and as a sight indicator when fishing wets.
Do you find that the mono impedes casting? I'm guessing not as it seems common...

Thanks all for the good info! Can anyone point me to a decent resource for tying needle/nail knots? I've not tied one before...

Thanks,
S
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
. . . Can anyone point me to a decent resource for tying needle/nail knots? I've not tied one before...
I'm a big fan of the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnectors, but they are problematic to use on fly lines 7-wt. and larger. On those I connect to the fly line a short piece of very heavy mono - preferably brightly-colored Amnesia like HardyReel does as an indicator of sorts - with a nail knot and then attach the L2L Reconnector.

By far the easiest way to tie a nail knot is to use the Tie-Fast nail knot tool, which only costs a couple of bucks and is widely available, even at big box discounters. It is a snap to use - even streamside - and comes with all the instruction you need (image below).
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The mono / Amnesia will not impede your cast in any way provided you straiten it after taking it off the reel. Stretch it by pulling it between your fingers while squeezing tightly. The friction and heat created by doing this will release any memory coils the line may have. I use Amnesia because of the low memory level it retains, as the name implies.

For tying the Nail Knot, go to a fly shop and ask for the 'Tie Fast Nail Knot Tool', they are fool proof. I wish they had been around all my life. All those early Saturday mornings trying to tie a nail knot while using the swizzle stick from my gin the night before................... that's another story then.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-01-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The mono / Amnesia will not impede your cast in any way provided you straiten it after taking it off the reel. Stretch it by pulling it between your fingers while squeezing tightly. The friction and heat created by doing this will release any memory coils the line may have. I use Amnesia because of the low memory level it retains, as the name implies.

For tying the Nail Knot, go to a fly shop and ask for the 'Tie Fast Nail Knot Tool', they are fool proof. I wish they had been around all my life. All those early Saturday mornings trying to tie a nail knot while using the swizzle stick from my gin the night before................... that's another story then.
You know, I have TRIED the Amnesia thing, but I just don't get it. I find it DOES sink and it is stiff. Plus the knots seem too big to me. I know I am missing something, but I don't see the attraction. Just me, I am sure.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By far the easiest way to tie a nail knot is to use the Tie-Fast nail knot tool, which only costs a couple of bucks and is widely available, even at big box discounters. It is a snap to use - even streamside - and comes with all the instruction you need .
I use a cotter pin

Click the image to open in full size.