The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 AM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Best Knot to join fly line & backing

I'm looking for feedback on the best knot to use for connecting backing to the end of fly line on a trout / bass setup. Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Knot to join fly line & backing

ChicagoJohn,
Here's a link for many "commonly asked questions" that Frank has put together. Take a look at the Albright Knot.http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...y-fishing.html

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
I'm looking for feedback on the best knot to use for connecting backing to the end of fly line on a trout / bass setup. Any suggestions?
I use a very long loop to attach the backing to the flyline. Big enough to pass the plastic spool the line came on through. It makes changing out my flylines easier. I can wind the flyline back onto the spool it came on and to a loop to loop spool and all.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I still like the nail knot for backing to fly line. Same for mono end loops on the front end where not already provided. I find that the best nail knot tool is a unflaired thread bobbin, it really works great.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Nail knot is good connecting knot but I perfer using a triple surgeon knot. I also use the same knot when stepping down tippet line from let's say 6lb to 4lb.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Add me to the Albright knot fan club. Never failed me, and it has gone out through the guides many times.
Gary
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

double whipped loop / Bimini twist

..... I like tying the Bimini ...... it's fun to see it come together
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I use a very long loop to attach the backing to the flyline. Big enough to pass the plastic spool the line came on through. It makes changing out my flylines easier. I can wind the flyline back onto the spool it came on and to a loop to loop spool and all.
-------------------
sc

Your system makes sense, planning to use it. My backing is currently attached to the running line with a nail knot. Have thought about cutting the backing about 12-18 inches from from the running line and tying a perfection loop in both ends to make a loop to loop attachment. Have you tried using backing for both loops? If so, any problems getting them apart when wet etc? Thanks
imxer

Last edited by imxer; 05-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I am a nail knot fan. When fishing for Kings on the 10wt, I actually tie three of them close together. When the tag ends are trimmed tightly there is no issue of the knots snagging on rod guides.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I mainly use Both The Nail Knot & the Albright Knot,I find the Albright is the quicker of the two to tie.
Brian.