The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Best 3-4 weight presentation lines

I am looking for the best presentation lines for small dry fly (18 - 28 size) fishing. I will be using Orvis superfine trout bums, a 7' 6" 3 weight and a 7' 4 weight.

I am concerned with both presentation and low line memory. I am looking at Orvis, SA and RIO.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trout Bum
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best 3-4 weight presentation lines

I've got SA lines and I'm very pleased with them....But,in my opinion, a dt or a parallel silk line is the best choice for presentation and more sober on the water with supicious fish.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have used both the Rio Selective Trout II and the SA Mastery Trout dual tapers. Both seem equally as good in presentation. Line memory seems to be low, but one of my friends will argue with me that the Rio has more memory. I just haven't noticed any difference.

Rio is releasing a new line called the Trout LT which has an extended front taper which is supposed to help in presentation. When I get my hands on a sample, I'll make a comment on it.

Sorry, I cannot make a comment on any of the Orvis lines.

MP

PS: If it means anything, I use a SA Mastery Trout in the dual taper on my 8'3" 3 weight.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've fished SA's Mastery XPS on my 3wt for a while and like it quite a bit. I've also heard great things about Rio's Selective Trout lines.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM

ssmwih is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I’m a newbie at this but I’ll be glad to offer my comments on presentation lines.

My truck rod is a 6 foot IM6 lined with a Teeny LaFontaine 3 weight. This is the rod that rides in my truck all season. What I like about the Teeny is how well I can make roll cast presentations in tight situations as well as a delicate presentation on still waters. I also use it for nymphing. It’s the outfit I always have with me.

My preffered presentation rod for drys is a Winston TMF with a 4 weight Wulff line. In my 40+ years of fly fishing I’ve yet to find a better presentation line and I’ve tried a lot of lines. It also roll casts like a whisper.

I guess my best advice is buy the best line a company has to offer. Cheap lines usually have memory and a line with memory is not conducive to good presentations.

Hope this helped.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I have used both the Rio Selective Trout II and the SA Mastery Trout dual tapers. Both seem equally as good in presentation. Line memory seems to be low, but one of my friends will argue with me that the Rio has more memory. I just haven't noticed any difference.

Rio is releasing a new line called the Trout LT which has an extended front taper which is supposed to help in presentation. When I get my hands on a sample, I'll make a comment on it.

Sorry, I cannot make a comment on any of the Orvis lines.

MP

PS: If it means anything, I use a SA Mastery Trout in the dual taper on my 8'3" 3 weight.

What do you mean by dual taper? Is that the same as double taper?

Thanks,

TB
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Dual Taper is the same as double taper.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

I should note that the Rio Selective Trout II line has been discontinued for the new Trout LT line. Selective Trout II tapers might be able to be bought at discounted prices at some retailers.

MP
Old 10-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I use Rio Selective Trout DT on all of my 3 wts. and I think that the presentation that I get with that line is pretty good.

Frankly, with the technology that's built into most of today's lines, good presentations are, in almost all cases, more a matter of the skill level of the caster than the memory of the line. If you have good loop control, don't jerk your line at the end of the forward cast and can float a fly down to the surface, then you're presentation should be all that you need it to be in most situations.

But, if you're really concerned about line memory, then I'd recommend that you strip off about 50' of whatever line you're using before you hit the stream, stretch it out and rewind it without making it overly tight. That should give you a line with very little memory. If you're casting over 50' and, at the same time, looking for subtle presentations, then you have lofty, but admirable, goals.

Another line that hasn't been mentioned yet and that I like a lot; although I was originally told that I wouldn't, is Cortland's 444 Peach; in DT configuration I use it in 3-6 wts., on both graphite and glass rods.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

lourdios will become famous soon enoughlourdios will become famous soon enough

i use a SA XPS DT4 grey . very happy .
Old 10-03-2009, 08:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Rio Windcutter in a 6w.Just a little overlining never hurt anyone.

Just kidding.
All my 4w's and up are lined with Sharkskin.
3w is DT in Rio STII.
With those lines, furled leaders, Varivas tippet it'll handle 28's- 32's.