The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default Warm or Cold, how to choose?

What is the the determining temperature that classifies a cold or warm water line. I live in MN, water temps here vary from lake to lake or river. I fish lakes that can change 10 degrees in the same lake just in different spots. I have decided on going with rios clouser series line. I would say the average water temps in the summer are around 70, but much colder in the spring and fall. Would i be fine with a coldwater line? Or would it be worth it to get an extra spool of the clouser saltwater?

Brian
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Warm or Cold, how to choose?

Hi Brian,

I realize that I must sound like a broken record but...........I have been using fly lines here in AK. that I used in Colorado, Pennsylvania and Virginia. I have cast them in the ocean off of Chincoteaque VA. and here in the Waters of Prince William Sound. Unless you are headed to the tropics where it is really warm I doubt that you need any special formula fly lines. Unless of course they are they same cost as a regular line like the SA, Cortland, & Orvis lines I've been using for years.

Sometimes I wonder how I even catch a fish because I'm so darn stubborn

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;