The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM

fredy is on a distinguished road
Default Line recommendations for small rods?

Hello,
I'm going to replace the lines on a couple of my set ups. One is an Orvis 6'6" 2wt. and the other is a Sage 6'9" 4wt. I have always used DT lines, cutting them in 1/2 and storing the other half for future replacement. I am curious on using a WF line like a Wulff? Will the taper make that much more of a difference? I only use these rods on small streams and creeks.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Fredy
Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Line recommendations for small rods?

Hi fredy,

I would stay the course with the DT lines. I have a 6'6" 3wt flea myself and DT is perfect on it. I use them on everything regardless of action. Years ago DT was about the only game in town besides level lines and you had to order a 'Rocket Taper' now known as WF lines. Sounds like you have a system,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

hey Fredy...if that's the unsanded superfine 2wt, I have the same stick. I put a WF on it for a while and changed back to the DT. I like 2 lines for the price of one and saw little or no difference in performance of the lines. Cool rod for bluegill and little creeks.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

My suggestion if you would like to try a WF and keep the price rather painless so that if you don't like it you won't be out nearly as much is to conact Allen & Co Fly Fishing via Private Message and purchase one from Justin. I'm not sure what he's charging forum members for fly lies, but its cheap and I have them on all my reels now and I'll never buy a premium priceds line again, because the slight difference fo the big brand names in quality IMO is not worth the additional $50-$70.

You ask Justin he's the owner of Allen & Co if he has DT's.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Ard,
I have been fishin's them with DT for close to 20yrs now. A couple of my buddies thought I was nutz cutting the fly line in 1/2. My thought was why have all that line on the reel that I am never going to cast any way This way I always have a new line waiting for next season.

mikel,
That's it, the original "1 ounce" This rod is sooo much fun. I was always curious waht a WF line would do on this rod(s) sometimes its a bit taxing trying to cast a weighted nymph and was not sure if a WF would help. I was curious about the Wulff Triangle since it roll cast so well.

FlyBum,
I know, I am kinda kicking my self in the azz since I did not think of that when I ordered the XL 5/6 reel for my custum Z-Axis.

Fredy
Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have one 'why not to cut the line story'. In 1980 I was waiting for a spinner to come off the trees and brush and decided to smoke a cigar. Long before I was able to savor the moment I burned the front 8' or so off my line when the stogie rolled down hill on that big flat rock I was resting upon. I was able to flip the line and fished the evening spinner fall....................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have one 'why not to cut the line story'. In 1980 I was waiting for a spinner to come off the trees and brush and decided to smoke a cigar. Long before I was able to savor the moment I burned the front 8' or so off my line when the stogie rolled down hill on that big flat rock I was resting upon. I was able to flip the line and fished the evening spinner fall....................

Ard

Fredy
Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fredy,

With a 2wt you are doing finesse fishing and not long distance. You want your performance to be in the first 30' and not much more than 40'. At these distances the front 30' of a Dt or WF is nearly identical. You can look at the RIO Trout Lt and see that the wt and taper of the DT and WF are nearly the same. The first 30' of both lines weigh in at 80 grains. It is after the first 40' that you will see the advantage of the WF in distance. Buying a DT and making it into two lines makes sense to me. I wouldn't consider a WF until you get up to a 5WT or maybe a 4WT.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that the diagram is for a 5wt not a 2wt. I posted the diagram so you can see that the front tapers of the DT and WF lines are the same. You can see the actual measurements at RIO's Site. It is in table form and you have to scan down to see it.

Frank

RIO Trout LT Fly Line
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 03-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Frank,
Is it safe to assume that the DT would roll cast better than the WF based on the tapers from rio?

Fredy
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for a dt....I cut my lines too enough to fish near(posted a tip on how to connect half an old line with half a new one on the little tricks to share thread)
-1.....I never use such short rods