The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Question advice

hi i have a few questions and need some help in answering them and would be great if some of you could help me out
i have a 6/7 greys rod with a scierra ic3 7/8 fly reel till i can save up some pennies to get a better one and will be fishing mainly for trout but hopefully the bigger trout lol mainly in rivers and streams
so first question
1: what breaking strain backing should i get i'm looking at 30lb as i want to be safe but is this overkill lol

2: what breaking strain tippert flurocarbon should i get to begin with this i have no idea about or should i get a varitey if so what ones do you advise

3: i have seen some blue fly lines but they all seem to be intermediate and really want a floating line (i know i'm wiered but want a unusall colour fly line as most fly fishers i have seen alll seem to have yellow or mint green lines which i find kinda dull and boring no offence toall those who use them ) so if anyone knows wherei can get blue or another bright uncommon colour would be great

vince
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: advice

Vince,

(Quote

1: what breaking strain backing should i get i'm looking at 30lb as i want to be safe but is this overkill lol

2: what breaking strain tippert flurocarbon should i get to begin with this i have no idea about or should i get a varitey if so what ones do you advise

3: i have seen some blue fly lines but they all seem to be intermediate and really want a floating line (i know i'm wiered but want a unusall colour fly line as most fly fishers i have seen alll seem to have yellow or mint green lines which i find kinda dull and boring no offence toall those who use them ) so if anyone knows wherei can get blue or another bright uncommon colour would be great (End Quote)

(Answer)

1. I am a fan of heavy backing and never using a heavier leader than the backing.

2. Very much dependant on the situation,(warning) fluorocarbon can be pricey so I wouldn't get carried away with too many spools. For trout I would want 6X & 7X and would rely on Maxima mono for most other needs. (streamers and such)

3. I am a stealth freak so I use all gray or dark olive lines for my fishing. They tend to be a little less reflective while in the air. Remember we aren't fishing for blind cave dwellers here.

Hope that helps a bit

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

thanks that helps alot and i never thought about the stealth point of view lol i think i will go with a stealthier colour lol
Old 12-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I can send you a document file regarding my observations during the early 1980's that lead me to seek out dark or drab lines if you want.

On the tippet question, when you are shopping for spools your wallet will be your guide when you are making decisions.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM

that would be great thank you if its not any trouble for you
Old 12-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky View Post
hi i have a few questions and need some help in answering them and would be great if some of you could help me out
i have a 6/7 greys rod with a scierra ic3 7/8 fly reel till i can save up some pennies to get a better one and will be fishing mainly for trout but hopefully the bigger trout lol mainly in rivers and streams
so first question

3: i have seen some blue fly lines but they all seem to be intermediate and really want a floating line (i know i'm wiered but want a unusall colour fly line as most fly fishers i have seen alll seem to have yellow or mint green lines which i find kinda dull and boring no offence toall those who use them ) so if anyone knows wherei can get blue or another bright uncommon colour would be great

vince

Hi Vince,

1) As far as backing strength and going with 30#, I think it may be a bit of overkill for the fish your going to be chasing in this area, but I don't believe there to be anything wrong with going heavier. You will have a little less backing on the reel, buy honestly probably not enough to really matter.

2) Fluorocarbon tippet material is expensive as Ard mentioned. I really only use it when fishing streamers, and occasionally nymphing. from a personal standpoint I'm really not sure fluorocarbon is really needed.

There have been some studies that say fluorocarbon doesn't break down as easily as mono, so if you hang upon the bottom and break off, the fluorocarbon could possibly remain there longer.

If I were you I would purchase a variety of good quality mono tippet material in sizes 2x-6x, and also a spool in the 15# range for fishing streamers. I like RIO' products myself.

3) Flyline colors......I absolutely agree with the Ardster in trying to be as stealthy as possible, but many don't think it's neccesary and put more credence in proper approach and casting. It's a matter of personal preference and over time you will form your own opinions.

S&A has a few lines that have a dull colored tip to them, maybe a good consideration for ya.

I like to have the mindset on heavily pressured water that when I'm fishing, I'm actually hunting, so for me I like to minimize anything that may cause the fish to be aware of me. But then again sometimes it may not matter as much and I'm not as cautious.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The only "diffrent" color floating fly line I have noticed is the clear creek series its an olive color very nice line, I used it on a 5wt for several years, Cortland makes it. If you do find a blue line it will more then likly be for salt water, so it would suck for cold water/weather fishing.
On the backing, 30 lb is over kill for trout, 20 is fine, gelspun backing is pretty good. I have caught some big trout in the 15-20 lb range and only had a few get into my backing a little.
Tippet ?, one thing you need to keep in mind is that floro. sinks, so if you are going to fish dries get some mono as well. The Smaller the fly the smaller the tippet, the bigger the fly the bigger the tippet, so get a few diffrenet sizes, from 7x to 3x. I usally carry 7X,5x,4X and 3x
Hope this helps
Bear
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wilky,

Nothing wrong with being stealthy but the key is not to cast or float your fly line over your target. The fly line color is more to assist the fly fisher instead of hiding the fly line. There are floating lines with clear tippets that you might take a look at.

If you want to camouflage your fly line take a tan or beige color line and get a brown and green marker pens. You can camouflage the heck out of your line. The shadow of the line is more of a problem than the color. A blue line will look good with a blue sky background but what about in a tree lined river or stream. The Blue line will show well against some backgrounds.

If it was me I would not be as concerned with the line color as I would be how and where I am casting and drifting. Making a fly line blend well with the water also makes it much harder for the fisher to see the line to control their mends.

Your tippet is mostly determined by the size and type of fly you are using. Here is a chart that will help you select the correct tippet size for the size of fly you are fishing.

Frank
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM

thank you guys you have been a great help like always but have another question on line lol i have just ordered some floating line and was wondering what the next best type of line would be i am mainly going to be fishing rivers for trout all year and i was kinda thinking a floating line with sinking tip for nymphs and that but not sure what do you recomend

many thanks
vince
Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sink tip lines are great for fishing streamers and some nymphs in rivers. I still prefer a floating line for dead drifting most nymphs.

The right sink tip that you will use will depend on the water that you are going to fish. If it is a big river, a sink tip line with a 24 foot sinking section would be ideal. For smaller rivers, choose a sink tip with a 10 to 15 foot sinking section. You will also need to figure out the sink rate that will suit your needs. For shallow and slow, a ghost tip (intermediate tip) will do. For a moderate depth and flow, a type 3 tip would be the way to go. For fast and deep, go type 6.

Your alternative is to buy some sinking leaders. These loop onto a floating line. They will give you some versatitily without having to change lines.

MP