The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Furled Weight Forward Leaders

Not often am I struck with a bolt of inspiration when it comes to leaders (or anything else for that matter). A few months back, I happened across a reference to an article written by an American engineer named Bernard Beegle.

In the article, Mr. Beegle discussed the idea of using what he called a convex leader. He tied up single strands of mono to create in effect, a weight forward leader. To be honest, the idea did not seem very intuitively obvious to me. As I thought about it more and more, it seemed like weight forward fly lines preformed very well, would the same concept apply to leaders?

I got busy furling and after a bit of fine tuning, came up with what appeared to be a good design. I like to test my leaders by first casting them by hand, to see how well they turn over. Not only did the weight forward leader turn over well, I could actually very easily throw a nice tight loop.

Next step, field testing. Took the leader out to do some lawn testing. Attached a quarter sized chunk of fluffed out yarn to see how well the leader would fling it. It did great, I think that extra mass up front helps power out the cast and turn over the large, wind resistant fly. I think it's the same principle as to why bass bug fly line tapers are in a weight forward configuration.

Next I tried to cast a very short line, well actually no line, just the leader. It cast in a nice tight loop, I think this configuration would work very well for tight, close quarter fishing situations.

I also fished the leader on my local pond. It fished bulky pan fish and small bass bugs very nicely, great turnover of the wind resistant bugs.

Since it's been pretty cold up here in Michigan, I've yet to fish the leaders in any moving water situation. Don't know how they will perform there, but I do think I'll be using them from now on for still water bugging.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Furled Weight Forward Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Not often am I struck with a bolt of inspiration when it comes to leaders (or anything else for that matter). A few months back, I happened across a reference to an article written by an American engineer named Bernard Beegle.

In the article, Mr. Beegle discussed the idea of using what he called a convex leader. He tied up single strands of mono to create in effect, a weight forward leader. To be honest, the idea did not seem very intuitively obvious to me. As I thought about it more and more, it seemed like weight forward fly lines preformed very well, would the same concept apply to leaders?

I got busy furling and after a bit of fine tuning, came up with what appeared to be a good design. I like to test my leaders by first casting them by hand, to see how well they turn over. Not only did the weight forward leader turn over well, I could actually very easily throw a nice tight loop.

Next step, field testing. Took the leader out to do some lawn testing. Attached a quarter sized chunk of fluffed out yarn to see how well the leader would fling it. It did great, I think that extra mass up front helps power out the cast and turn over the large, wind resistant fly. I think it's the same principle as to why bass bug fly line tapers are in a weight forward configuration.

Next I tried to cast a very short line, well actually no line, just the leader. It cast in a nice tight loop, I think this configuration would work very well for tight, close quarter fishing situations.

I also fished the leader on my local pond. It fished bulky pan fish and small bass bugs very nicely, great turnover of the wind resistant bugs.

Since it's been pretty cold up here in Michigan, I've yet to fish the leaders in any moving water situation. Don't know how they will perform there, but I do think I'll be using them from now on for still water bugging.
One short question-why.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Now that you ask, I realize it's totally frivolous.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 12-27-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Now that you ask, I realize it's totally frivolous.
Hey, why not try it. So it's frivolous. So what. You're not breaking any rules by making one. I know on the other site that you posted it (FAOL) I answered something different, but hey, I'm just a naturally curious a-hole sometimes. Why? Why not!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

pszy22, I say go for it too. That is how great stuff is discovered.
I love my leaders out of Uni, but as you mentioned the cold. I made one I called the Transition. The Butt section is thread, the middle and tippet end was Mono. It worked pretty good. Better than trying to put the mono in with the thread as the mono will stretch where the thread won't.
So by putting it on the end it also made for a cool shock absorber. Great for faster action rods.

I also like the mono leaders better in the cold, because the thread would stick to a rock (the old licking the frozen flag pole) while I changed out flies. The mono doesn't do it as bad.

BUT, I prefer UNI MONO. It isn't like tippet, but it can be used as tippet. Pretty cool stuff.

But you got to experiment to find out.

Let us know!