The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Tippet to leader knot

So the knot I got with a search was a double surgeons knot but I was wondering if I could use a double uni knot instead. The double uni is what I use to attach my leader to main line for surf casting and I love it for that. What advantage does the double surgeons knot have? Thanks guys.

Alex
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tippet to leader knot

Double uni is a great knot for leader/tippet connection. No reason at all not to use it. Double surgeons is just easier for most to tie. -Mike
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Look at the seaguar knot. Very easy, very fast, and stronger than either of the other two knots.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Mike! That is what I was hoping to hear. I didn't see any reason "knot" to use a uni but figured I would ask someone that has been fly fishing for a while.

Rich, I will definitely try that one out. Looks super fast and easy to tie with cold fingers.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Look at the seaguar knot. Very easy, very fast, and stronger than either of the other two knots.

What this guy said.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default seguar knot vid

It does look easy and fast. The guy in the video is using BIG material, but it looks pretty sweet. I'll definitely try it...Thanks Rangerrich.

How to tie a seaguar knot for fishing | Video Wonder How To
Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Moderators/Administrators,

Consider merging this thread with the long-existing thread "What Knot Do You Tie Your Fly On With?"
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tied the Seagur knot before. My only issue with knots that require you to pull the working ends of the line through the knot to tighted (bloodknot) is that anything below 10lb test usually curls or wrinkles. Does that happen with a Seagur?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I've never tied the Seagur knot before. My only issue with knots that require you to pull the working ends of the line through the knot to tighted (bloodknot) is that anything below 10lb test usually curls or wrinkles. Does that happen with a Seagur?
Sorry it took this long to reply. This answer is no, if you lube with a little spit before tightening, the knot cinches up flat and tight, with no curling.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Sorry it took this long to reply. This answer is no, if you lube with a little spit before tightening, the knot cinches up flat and tight, with no curling.
Tried it yesterday, worked well.