The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default line advice needed

i am looking at both scientific angler and cortland fly lines to put on an avid mf 6wt. i guess it would be for general purposes, maybe smallmouth and trout. i would like a wf line but unsure as to color and manufacturer. can anyone give me ideas, either good or what to possibly avoid? i will thank you in advance.........
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: line advice needed

For my money the best general purpose line is the Sci Anglers GPX.Ive caught more SMB and other fish on that line than any other.It will handle bass bugs as well as trout flies and I use it in the salt as well.Personally I have fished some Cortland lines and ive never been satisified with any of them.The Wulff TT is also a good line.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A GPX is a good bet, or you could go with a SA Headstart and have a little more powerful turnover and save a little money as well. It makes a bit better bass line and the GPX a better trout line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM

i thought i read where the gpx is for faster actions and i am a bit afraid of overlining this mod.-fast rod. i will look into the headstart.

cliff, the write up says this is a beginner line. as i progress, will i need to change this line, or will it suffice? i see where it is good with hoppers, nymphs and streamers. since i will fish primarily for warm water species, this seems to be what i may be looking for. just fear that i will have to upgrade in the coming year.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A head heavy line like the Mastery GPX is not a bad idea for a medium fast action rod especially if you are going to use a wide range of flies. A GPX will allow you to load up your line more efficiently if you decide to start casting wind resistant flies. It will also help you flip over indicators if you decide to nymph fish.

My girlfriend has been fly fishing for 5 months now. Her first outfit is a Sage Launch with a Lamson Konic loaded with a Rio Grand line (very similar to the GPX). I purposely sold her that line so she could feel her rod load more and flip indicators. She's having a ball with her setup.

You won't go wrong with a Mastery GPX.

MP
Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Rapman,I fish the GPX on all my 6wt's,from fast graphite to my slow glass rods.It works well on all of them.Its the best all around line ive found.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM

i appreciate the help, gents. will purchase today and all i need is for this blankety-blank ice to go away. would love to see open water again
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I purposely sold her that line so she could feel her rod load more and flip indicators. She's having a ball with her setup.

You won't go wrong with a Mastery GPX.

MP
You sold it to her? And she is still your girlfriend?

Just kidding. I'm sure she got a good deal on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo,
She wasn't my girlfriend at the time. But I made up for that with a Fishpond Firefly vest and a Brodin net for Christmas.

MP
Old 01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Good for you. It's nice to have the girlfriend/spouse into fly fishing. It just cost's a hell of a lot more.