The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default putting a loop on a fly line

Hi All,

I wanted to put a loop on a 3wt fly line so that I can easily swap out leaders. I was going to nail knot a bit of mono to the line and then tie that into a perfect loop and was wondering if 4 lb. test would be strong enough?

Thanks.

-ant
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: putting a loop on a fly line

I have never done what you are trying to do as my lines came with loops but 4lb seems VERY light to me for that pressure point.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I would usually put a loop directly in the fly line, there was a thread on this a couple weeks ago. But if you are going to add mono, I would put something like 6 inches of 16# or 20#.

You want to connect to a leader and then tippet so I don't think 20 is out of line, I would probably use 20# or 30# on a 5 wt if i did this. As I said originally though, I just put a small loop in the end of the fly line. then loop to loop my leader.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

The loop in that other thread looks a lot better (and sturdier) that sticking some mono on a line. I think I'll try that one. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Ant,

Using a piece of mono on the end of our fly line is a simple and strong method to attach a loop. It was the most use of any method until the lines started coming with an integrated loop.

You need to size the mono to match the diameter of the butt of the leaders you use. If the butt of the leader is .019 then the mono loop should be around .o21. If you use too light of mono you can get a hinging effect because the light mono can't turn over the heavier leader butt. Four pound mono is way too light.

So look at your leader package and see what diameter of the butt of your leader measures. They size your mono loop accordingly.

Frank
Old 01-17-2010, 07:20 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree with frank on this.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks guys. Just looking at the 4lb, it looked like it wouldn't work but I was thinking strength-wise and thought it might be ok. I never thought of any hinge effect while casting.