The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Smallies lines

Hate to keep asking questions, but I like a little advice on a direction here:

Got a smallie trip coming up in early May (I know, a bit off, but I like to do my research).

Was thinking of a Cortland 333+ long belly sink tip for streamers. The river I'll be fishing is rather decent size. Some holes, don't know how many.

Gonna buy a reel soon. Should I invest in a second spool? I'm considering the Cortland 333+ long belly full sinking.

I'll be using a flouro furled leader and flouro tippets.

Thanx guys.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smallies lines

What size rod are you using?

What size flies will you be throwing?

Are you fishing off of a boat?

How deep will you be fishing?

What kind of sink rate is necessary for that water?

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 01-20-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added more questions.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Without knowing the specifics of your trip,I will give you what worked for me.I have many hours of wading rivers and small streams for SMB.The only line I really needed was a floater.If I needed to get deep,I added splitshot or looped a sink tip to my line.I never wore a stripping basket so a full sinking line was out of the question.Since I was a wader,water depth was not that great although current did become an issue now and then.I also did most of my fishing with a standard WF line,a SA GPX.This worked well for poppers as well as streamers.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
What size rod are you using?

What size flies will you be throwing?

Are you fishing off of a boat?

How deep will you be fishing?

What kind of sink rate is necessary for that water?
I'll be using a 7wt Avid.

Flies probably no bigger than a 4.

It will be a float trip, so I'm not sure if it's a pontoon or a boat. I would guess a boat.

Probably no deeper than 2-6ft.

Can't really answer the last one. I would think something medium in rate.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going with a guide, ask the guide what your line strategy. With the limited information, I'm guessing.

If you have two rods, I would have them rigged differently. They would have different lines and flies. One would have a type 3 tip line. It's a fast sinking tip line that will allow you to have good line control. You can swing it effectively or strip streamers. The other type of line would be a type 6 shooting head with an intermediate running line or a full sink line. This is going to be your streamer stripping line. You will not have much line control because all of the line will be underwater.

MP
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Personally I would have my rod rigged with a floating line, and have a couple of different length loop on sink tips in my pocket. For most of my SMB fishing I can get by with this set-up. To be honest, I haven't looped on one of the heads in a very long time, I swing streamers on my regular leader.

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I fish may be a bit deeper than your spot. I use a WF5SI type 1 intermediate sinking line. Rio lazy sink. I don't think they make that exact line anymore. To bad, cause I really like it. It's the line I use 95% of the time.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Personally I would have my rod rigged with a floating line, and have a couple of different length loop on sink tips in my pocket. For most of my SMB fishing I can get by with this set-up. To be honest, I haven't looped on one of the heads in a very long time, I swing streamers on my regular leader.

Dan
I have one of those in T3, I think. Never used it yet. Might do just that. the Cortland line I was looking at has a sinking tip of 5ft. It's very similar to the Teeny Mini-tip that I got for my 5wt for streamers. Caught some nice 'bows on that last fall.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM

I was incorrect:

I have a 3ft Ti6 sinking tip that is looped at each end. Don't remember where I got it.

I believe that I've brought up the conversation before, but I COULD use this at the end of a WF line (possibly the long belly 333+) if I wanted to get down in some deep pools.

What is the possibility of this overloading the rod?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM

So, I'm down to a few lines:

WF7F - SA Lefty Kreh
WF7/S3 - Rio Mainstream with Type 3 Sink tip
WF7F - Rio Mainstream
WF7/S3 - Cortland 333+ Long Belly Type 3 Sink tip

There are probably others that I'm not seeing, but those are on my radar.

Opinions?