The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM

bullseye smith is on a distinguished road
Default Leader and Tippet

I'm new to this and going to ask a dumb question. If you are out and break the tippet line can you use regular fishing line for one?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Leader and Tippet

ive done that before and i couldnt tell the difference. i make my own pike leaders out of regular fishing line and steel line
Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

You sure can, but trying to carry 3 or 4 diffrent line sizes on reg. spoools is a pain in the ass.
I have a buddy that only uses 6lb fishing line ofcourse he only fishes for bluegill and a put and take trout stream and uses the same 4 or 5 flies in the same size all the time , but it works for him
Bear
Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

tippet mono has a more consistent thickness and higher breaking strength then regular mono of the same diameter
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I usually car a small spool of 4# flouro to use for tippets when I am making quick trips to the river.

d
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie all my own leaders and use pretty much nothing but regular line. ANDE mono 99.999% of the time. Only use two knots, blood knot and perfection loop. Three if you count adding the fly. 5 if I add a shock and bite tippet. Bimini twist and albright knot.