The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Line Recommendation for Scott G2

I just ordered a G2 in an 8'8" 4 wt. While playing with a demo rod, I noticed that the fly line makes a huge difference on that rod. What floating line do you guys recommend for it?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Line Recommendation for Scott G2

For a great rod like that, what else. I'm going to say spend the Benjamin and get Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper. But there will be others that say Rio Gold or Selective Trout. Some will say Hook and Hackle's $30 line and some will say Cortland Peach.
Now then you can decide from all those lines.
Or you can go to the shop were you bought it and try some of their lines to see what fits your style.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
.....Or you can go to the shop were you bought it and try some of their lines to see what fits your style.
I've tried what my local shop has to offer (I ordered the rod through them). They have several options that will work well, I am just curious what the people who have fished the rod for a while recommend to go with it. I usually use Rio Gold and also have Wulff's Triangle Taper for one rod. Someone recommended SA's XPS, but I don't know anything about that line. I know I don't like sharkskin line. I'd also like to know if there is something that people might advise against for this rod.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Since you're opposed to Sharkskin, I'd recommend the SA Mastery Trout. I fish it on a very similar rod (490 LL) and like it quite well. For something even more delicate, SA's XPS would work well. If you expect to do alot of roll casting and mending, SA's Expert Distance would be great.

I don't know Rio nearly as well, but the Selective Trout also would likely work well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of good lines for that rod. On 4 weights and under, I prefer double tapers.

For SA, I'm with Cliff. Get the Trout Taper. I have yet to fish a Mastery XPS, so no comment on that.

I have not fished the new Rio Trout LT yet, so no comment on that. There may be a few Selective Trout II lines around. If you can find one, that would be a good fit.

MP
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've got two Scotts G...a G955 and a G2 905...I underline both with a 4 line.Used them with a SA ultra4 dt4f,a SA XPS wf4f and with a parallel silk line...everyting works well.Recently bought a Rio selective WF4F but haven't tried it with these rods.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi BlueDun,

After reading your comments I think the RIO Selective Trout would be a good match.

Frank
Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I tried a Wolfe Triangle taper on mine and loved it.

Untill ... Mojo beat me to it.. Sharkskin skin.
Give that a try it cost twice as much. And I wish I would have used the GPX instead of the trout taper. the GPX rollcast tons better but I didn't buy it and was trying it from a friends reel.

Good luck.. I loved the G2 it was my favorite until I moved to 10' rods and now I am hooked on Greys. I never tried a 10' G2 one day I will if I can find it at $300 like I did with the Greys.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! Will check out your suggestions!