The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Fly Line Conundrum

I've now have 2 beautiful Allen & Co Nano Ti fly rods which I've not gotten to cast since I purchased them, because I do not have lines for them.

I know I have said I would never purchase anything other then Allen & Co fly lines, because IMO others simply do not perform enough better to spend another $50-$90.

Nevertheless, so that I can get the rods lined and start casting and fishing them before my float trip at the end of the month I'm now reluctantly considering purchasing other lines. Besides the truth is I think the half size heavy lines would likely perform best anyway.

I'm looking at the Rio Grand and the truth is my search would stop there, because I have an opportunity to purchase them well below full retail, but they are last years and I'm concerned about the problems I've read about the coating being to soft for fast rods. How prevalent are/were the problems? Frankly regardless how far below full retail I can get them, I just don't want to have to throw away a fly line shortly after purchasing it.

I'm also looking at the various SA Mastery & Sharkskin GPX lines if cost was not an issue for me I'd just one of these, but sine I need to new lines the cost will be significant to me. However if I come to the conclusion its necessary I will bite the bullet.

I would greatly appreciate everyone's input.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Line Conundrum

Hi Tom,

I'm not wanting to be a stick in the mud here but.............I don't understand why a line coating could be too soft for a rods action? If a line were defective then it would be just that, defective. I have said before that I believe there is way too much hair splitting going on with rods and lines and this may be another example of such minutia. I won't bore you with any in depth descriptions of the lines I use or their age but when it came to buying a line for any single hand rod I have always used SA Mastery or Cortland lines. I have had a few sold by Orvis and used a Gladding level line for years. They all worked great regardless of the rod I used them on.

I wouldn't spend so much time reading critiques on the lines but would get one and go fishing with it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm not wanting to be a stick in the mud
Ard: I'm personally very thankful that you do not pee on any ones leg and tell them its raining.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I'm looking at the Rio Grand and the truth is my search would stop there, because I have an opportunity to purchase them well below full retail, but they are last years and I'm concerned about the problems I've read about the coating being to soft for fast rods.
Rio Grand lines were designed to work with fast rods. I put almost 200 fishing days on one. I did not have any coating issues with it.

Dennis
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Rio Grand lines were designed to work with fast rods. I put almost 200 fishing days on one. I did not have any coating issues with it.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis! I realise they are made for fast rods, but I read here in one of the threads of an issue someone had and then communicated with Rio and was told there was problem with some new coating making them too soft. Anyway I'm over that now.