The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line types

I'm just getting back into fly fishing after a 10+ year hiatus. I have equipment already - found it safely stored in the garage but I need to put some new line on the reels. I have a 4wt. with a Martin 62 reel and a 6 wt. rod with a Browning Black Caynon reel. I mostly fish for panfish, trout, smallmouth. I've been thinking about doing some striper fishing, but I know I need a heavier rod, something like a 8 or 10 wt., but that is down the road.

Now my question is, what type of fly line is recommended. I see that there are several out there with a hundred different brands it seems, and I've been trying to read everything I can find through Google and several magazines.

I am unsure of whether I need floating, sinking, or sinking tip, weight forward, or double taper. I know what they do, but I am trying to determine what would work best.

Any advise is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by frdfandc; 04-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line types

A floating line would work for most dry fly fishing and nymphing. If your nymphing with a double nymph rig you will want to open the casting loop up or you will end up with wind knots. The guys that fish the small mountain streams on 3 wt or smaller fly rods like the double taper lines for the delicate presentation on the water. Others like the double taper lines because when the end you fish with everyday wears out, you can flip it over and fish the other end, just like you just bought a new fly line so it is really ecomonical. The weight forward lines give you a little better casting performance when the wind comes up. Later on if you get into tossing streamers a sink tip would be nice for streamers that have no or little weight. A floating line will work when tossing heavily weighted streamers. A full sinking line is best suited for stillwater fishing, but some find that it works for them on rivers. I like a real slow sinking line for fishing on stillwater.
I hope that helps, others will chime in with their preferences.

Larry

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line types

Larry gave you a great response.

Here is some more food for thought. Many quality floating lines come with looped ends, so you can add a sinking leader via loop to loop connection for streamer fishing. These sinking leaders come in a variety of lengths and sink rates. Just add tippet and fly to the terminal end, and you will be good to go.

Dennis